DIY Mason Jar Herb Planter

$15

Fresh herbs and a fun centerpiece combine together in this indoor gardening project!

Here's a fun and easy project to have fresh herbs and a cute centerpiece at your fingertips.

Supplies:

• Spray Paint of your choice (I used  Rustoleum.) 
  • Pint Mason Jars (I used regular mouth, since that’s what I had, but the wide mouth would be even better!)
  • River Rock (or rocks you have laying around)
  • Brass name tag holders
  • Herbs of choice (I used rosemary and garlic chives)
  • Gorilla Glue (optional, see instructions below)
  • Take your small wooden crate outside and use your spray paint color of choice to paint all over and inside the crate. Let the crate dry, then apply a second coat.       

• Once the crate is dry, gather the rest of the supplies together. Begin by affixing the small brass labels to your box. Using a ruler, measure the front of your box and determine how far apart you want your labels. (Mine were 1 1/2 inches apart.) Use a pencil to mark where each label will go. The labels did come with small screws, which you can certainly use, but since the screws would have come through the other side of the wood pieces, I opted to use  Gorilla Glue to adhere my brass labels.      

• While the labels are drying (if you use the glue), go ahead and begin preparing your mason jars for planting. Take a handful or river rock and place them in the bottom of each Mason jar. This is to promote drainage for your plants.    
  • Then take your chosen herbs and remove them from the plastic containers they came in. You’ll want to gently break apart excess potting mix that won’t fit into the jar and get down to the root system of the plant. Gently push the plants into the jars and add additional potting soil where needed.     

• Create labels for your brass label holders by cutting small slips of paper from card stock or index cards. Label them with a Sharpie or other permanent marker and slide them into the holders. 

• Add your mason jar herbs to the crate and display! Keep your herbs watered (but not drowned), and be sure they have plenty of light.                                              

• Wooden Crate  (WalMart)
  • Spray Paint  (Lowe's)
  • Brass Labels  (Amazon)

Courtney |The Kitchen Garten

• Patti Sovinski

What are the measurements of the wooden crate?

• Patti Sovinski

I have looked every where for the wooden crates of this size. Wal-Mart, Target, Meijer, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Joann Fabrics, Lowes, Menards and Rural King. They don't carry anything like this. If anyone has information on where I could buy these wooden crates, I really would appreciate it. Thank you.