Asked on Aug 4, 2014

Rusty wagon

Rebecca Parton-SjostrandMbdelongBgu248858
+33

I am going to make a planter out of this cute little garden wagon. Can't decide what to do with it though. I like the rusty look, but a good sanding and fresh paint might be the ticket. My house is a cream color almost yellow. The trim is dark green but only around the front door. I don't know yet where it will be parked. Last Fall it had flowers in it in pots. Give me some ideas please I NEED help.
  • Brittany
    Brittany

Have you considered spray painting at all? Perhaps if you tailor the colors to your home it will look awesome!

• SYNLawn Of San Diego
    SYNLawn Of San Diego

Depending on how well it goes with your house and landscape, a new paint job might not be a bad idea. I would use it as a small, elegant flower bed with some bright flowers.

• Donna Byram
    Donna Byram

I think it would be adorable painted a deep red or barn red as some people call it and stencil your favorite saying or a welcome message on it. Then load it with a mixture of green plants and flowers. Some tall and some trailing over the edge. Posting a picture to show you the color of red.

q garden ideas rusty wagon art, gardening, repurposing upcycling
    • Mbdelong
      Mbdelong

@Donna Byram Love this idea never thought about the message on the side.. .

• Katie Lloyd Mansfield
    Katie Lloyd Mansfield

I like it as is. If it's too chipped for your taste, sand and respray. It looks darling red.

• Mbdelong
    Mbdelong

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Julie Penley
    Julie Penley

I would freshen up with some paint, you can antique or spackle on the underside until you get a good feel for what is good for you....the rust will come. If you don't paint, it will rust thru.

• Jerri M
    Jerri M

what is that other reddish thing in the background? is that part of your garden too? if so, do you want to keep the same theme? or is this a different part of the garden, so you'll want something different? what about a goldish antique paint, with the homily on the side, and bright annuals? Is it 'permanently' part of your garden? I don't know how, but what about a pondless fountain? I'm a halloween freak, so I'd probably leave it alone, plant bright annuals in it, let them look beautiful during summer, then let them die, and turn it into part of the halloween decorations w/ a skeleton horse and skeleton driver, and bones coming out of the dead flowers. lol!! Good luck!! your garden is pretty!!

• LaJean Dowty
    LaJean Dowty

You've posted this before...and like I said in the earlier post, the wagon will continue to rust if you don't sand and paint it, or seal it somehow, all depends on how long you want the wagon to last

• Laila Garrett
    Laila Garrett

if it was in my garden I would just seal it with a clearcoat to keep it from rusting further and put in some blackeyed susans or other wildflowers and a rake and shovel leaning against it making it look like a project still in the works but abandoned.

• A.E. Zaring
    A.E. Zaring

myself, I would paint it orange so that it will stand out wherever you place it~

• Jackie I
    Jackie I

Paint it a nice bright purple or blue and fill it with flowers! Let it make a statement!

• Heather  Seebold
      Heather Seebold

I was going to say a bright purple, but your idea of blue sounds better, blue is always great in the garden!

• Glenda B
    Glenda B

I liked the idea of leaving it as is and sealing it to protect it. Flowers of your choice.

• Dawn Harrison
    Dawn Harrison

a pretty shade of purple filled with flowers with some hanging over the sides!

• Laura Cote
    Laura Cote

I like the purple idea too

• Corine E
    Corine E

It looks as though the back of the wagon opens up...you could do a placement of it and flowers as if they are spilling out the back of it...I would paint it a dark red (brick red as others have stated) and then I would plant it with flowers that complement and stand out from it...blues or purples, which will go well with the color of your house as they are opposites on the color wheel.

• Shirley P
    Shirley P

paint it back the origional color

• Bonnie Christensen
    Bonnie Christensen

If that end gate opens, I'd tilt it and plant flowers that grow bushy...and plant them in the ground also, so it appears they are spilling out. I wouldn't paint the wagon, but I would line it. If it doesn't open, I'd still plant bushy flowers and vines.

• Karen Hensley
    Karen Hensley

Barn Red and fill it with the rust and gold mums for fall.

• Bonnie Linge
    Bonnie Linge

Metalic blue and plant it full of yellow flowers and paint wheel rims bright yellow

• I would seal the wonderful original finish and any color of flowers would look great in it. Great wagon.

• Kathleen
    Kathleen

Here's what I did with a rusty garden cart I got at a garage sale.

q garden ideas rusty wagon art, gardening, repurposing upcyclingq garden ideas rusty wagon art, gardening, repurposing upcycling
  • Teresa Elam Ayars
    Teresa Elam Ayars

I wouldn't paint it. It would keep changing out the flowers in seasonal annuals.

• Brenda Long
    Brenda Long

Leave it like it is. The vintage look is much better than being painted, and looking new. Plant flowers that will flow downward to hang over the top. You will be surprised if how nice it will look. I do this each year with my sons wagon. Love it and I get many complements.

• Brenda H
    Brenda H

I like it as it is. I'd maybe seal it to preserve it's look. And maybe drill a few holes in the bed to let the water drain.

• Karen Wigley
      Karen Wigley

I agree Brenda. Preserving the wood is a good idea. Maybe a natural stain would be good also. I like the idea of holes for drainage. Good thinking!

• Mary Carper
    Mary Carper

right where you have it sitting looks great,

• Rebecca Parton-Sjostrand
    Rebecca Parton-Sjostrand

make a water garden with it laying on its side......make sure to seal with rustoleum first. Have a fountain rolling out of the top...down the wagon and into the pond. Some form of wildlife sitting in the wagon (frog, turtle etc.) looking out over the pond waiting on dinner, Would go with the woodland look of the garden already in place :)

• Jacqueline Saam Cleary
    Jacqueline Saam Cleary

Leave it alone....add mums for fall.....

• Verena Grant
    Verena Grant

orangey-red

• Penni Replogle
    Penni Replogle

Fresh coat of paint

• Linda McAllen McDonald
    Linda McAllen McDonald

Definitely keep it rusty or red/orange...just not too bright or new looking.

• Bgu248858
    Bgu248858

Yours is Old! Don't get rid of the rust! From the looks of where it sets. A burst I'd bright yellow and purple would look good in that beautiful rusty red!

• Mbdelong
    Mbdelong

This is what the wagon morphed into..All I need to do is stencil Herb Garden on the side in white letters......

• Rebecca Parton-Sjostrand
    Rebecca Parton-Sjostrand

My husband said if you don't use pots it will ruin the wagon eventually...so good job. Your garden is beautiful.... could try to find some metal wheels instead of rubber. Metal would go with the old rusty look and you could simply apply a clear sealant to keep the trailer intact. White or black go with everything if all else fails. Our farmhouse has a similar garden....we use ( orange) tractors....so of course, I would use orange...sanded down slightly for that aged look and then sealed. Whatever you do I'm sure it will be fantastic... looks like you already have great taste.