Wicker Bike Basket Storage Hack

$73

Lacking towel storage in the bathroom?

Here’s an easy, super quick hack to make your bathroom practical and stylish!

There wasn’t a great deal of storage in my bathroom for towels, and I’d been looking for an alternative for a little while.

One day whilst out shopping at (Kmart) I spotted a cute wicker type basket sitting on its own in a trolley. I read the label and discovered it was a wicker bike basket. It had a great look about it , particularly the leather look buckle straps that were attached. I didn’t buy it, but I kept thinking about it and wanted to use it in someway.

Then I had a light bulb moment! I had recently purchased a bamboo decorative ladder from Kmart and had been intending to use it.

Bamboo Ladder

So I measured the distance between rungs and looked up the bike basket measurements online. I couldn’t believe they were a perfect fit!! Not only that I knew it would be easy to attach the baskets as they came with the leather look buckle straps.

I decided to buy four, even though I knew you could fit five in there! You wouldn’t see the fifth one due to the bathtub- no point spending the extra money.

Tools and Materials

• Bamboo ladder
  • 4 wicker baskets
  • 8 leather look buckle straps (or you could upcycle some old belts)
Stabilize the Baskets
Stabilize the Baskets

To stabilize the baskets so that they wouldn’t tip forward I moved the straps lower towards the center of the basket.

Add Buckle Straps
Add Buckle Straps

It was also important for the buckle straps to be on the right hole so that the bottom of the basket would sit snugly on the rung below. So the second last hole was used.

Hang and Enjoy
Hang and Enjoy

I then rolled towels and placed them inside the baskets.

If you’re wanting to make this and your baskets don’t have buckle straps you can easily find them at haberdashery stores or even use small dog collars!

DIY Bathroom Storage

So happy with the outcome- practical and stylish!

DIY Bathroom Towel Storage

I chose to fill mine with towels. What will you fill yours with?

31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute

• Teresa Riordan
    Teresa Riordan

where do you get short belts like that?

• Pink
      Pink

"If you’re wanting to make this and your baskets don’t have buckle straps you can easily find them at haberdashery stores or even use small dog collars!"

• Charlotte
    Charlotte

I would like to try this! But I need the answers to the same questions that were left unanswered from others! 1) where to buy these short belts?

2) baskets?? Where to get these too!!??

• Dannette
      Dannette

These are bicycle baskets that go on the front of a bicycle. The belt looks like a reg belt that was probably cut down. The lady stated You could use dog colors. Also sounds maybe like a hardware store might have them. Also go up to resources needed and click on the button beside the item. It takes you right to the item on Amazon.

cute idea, have fun

• Ada
    Ada

where did you get baskets with the flat side?

• Susan Gallicchio
      Susan Gallicchio

not to sound snotty but she gave this information in the post. Everyone is just excited and skipped over her descriptions lol

• Susan Gallicchio
    Susan Gallicchio

Yes I like all of those ideas! Especially the vege one

• Lisa West
    Lisa West

Looks absolutely adorable. The bathroom is almost spa like. Love the ivy. Gives it that extra green and out doors inside, especially now that its the death part of the year. You know winter, death season i call it some times. Every thing is dead or dormant. Rain ice snow sleet. Snow is the only thing that is pretty during this time of year. So having plants in the house helps depression, oxygen and many plants clean the air. Also bow with the vid 19, extra help in the cleaning part is a good thing.