DIY Rustic Pulley Lights With Wine Rack

$80

It is coming up on two years since we purchased our new house and the dining room had a large empty wall so I made a 3' pallet clock to fill the space. Once I had made my pallet clock and hung it up on the long dining room wall it seemed lost...inspiration moment! I had some pulleys and rope I had purchased over a year ago that I was saving for just the right project.

I knew I wanted a rustic look with lights and after seeing a wood & rope wine rack I decided to incorporate the idea into this DIY project.

Here's what we started with . . .

I purchased the 15’ rope (swag) light cord from World Market. We only needed 9’ so we chose to modify the length, which my experienced husband did. The wire light cages came from Lowe’s. The Black Cast Iron Victorian Double Wall Hooks came from Hobby Lobby. The Wood stain is Walnut color (Olympic Maximum Stain).

Notched with saw and finished with chisel.

We used 2x10” boards for the vertical uprights that run from the floor to the ceiling, and 2x6 boards for the wine bottles. We grooved the uprights with the saw doing several cuts in the area to be removed then used a chisel. It gives the horizontal boards more support to hold the wine bottles.

We distressed and stained the boards after they were cut. The rope holes were drilled before we screwed them in from the back. For the front section we used old rope that we had purchased with the pulleys. I washed the rope in a bucket and have used it on many other projects, including the pallet clock.

The light's switch is close to the plug.

We had electrical plugs right behind the boards so we drilled a hole for the plug and rope cord to go through. The switch on the cord is just above the plug so it worked well. On the backside of the board my husband chiseled around where the electrical plate and baseboard goes. He notched the bottom with a jigsaw so it would fit over our baseboards.

I am loving these lights and wine racks! They really finish off the large wall and complete my vision for the room. My husband was very cooperative in helping with this project, especially when I showed him the pulley lights would also incorporate a wine rack...and of course they had to be filled up

Bonnie Terk

• Mary DeRose Petrino

I have one of these pulleys, found in my fathers garage. I love it, my decor is not really rustic, more “wanna be” French antique. I can’t saw wood or build things. Any suggestions for me?

I thought painting wood with a white dry brush, hanging from the ceiling with the rope shown, holding a fruit basket or plant from the hook. How would I mount on ceiling?

Suggestions please ...

• Lisa Wyandt-Mcdannell

I have one hanging in the living room and I have a lantern that has a candle in it on a timer if I ever want to chang it I can

• Audrey kammerude

I want to know how you got the wiring inside the rope - or did I miss something?

• Terre Tulsiak

Great explanation- I would suggest cabinet spacers rather than the metal straws which are expensive. And what about the wheels for shower doors? Too small?

• Bonnie Terk

There are plenty of pre-wired lighting ropes available online on Amazon and at World Market at a reasonable price. I liked World Market one because of the location of the switch.

• Bren

I have just one word for this. WOW!!!

• Sunny

Wow!!! I absolutely love this!! 😍😍😍. I don't have a large wall or pulleys, but I 'm thinking of making a smaller version with just the board and the roping. Very cool 😎!! Thanks!