Chas
Chas
  • Jacksonville, FL

Live Edge Desk

$250
1 Day

Hi Hometalk! Live edge tables are pretty on trend right now, and I'm feeling really proud of our recent project, check it out. I created this live edge desk paired with powder coated black legs. Complete with a matching keyboard slide!

live edge desk

We started off with this beautiful wood slab.

live edge desk

We then cleaned it, sanded it down and filled the holes with epoxy.

live edge desk

live edge desk

I then used Odies oil to seal it up. This kept its natural look and allowed the wood grain to shine through.

live edge desk

We decided to use these black powder coated metal legs. I love how they look in contrast to the natural wood.

live edge desk

Once we attached the legs, it was time to add in the best feature- the sliding keyboard tray.

live edge desk

We purchased a sliding keyboard hardware for the drawer.

live edge desk

And then I added a sweet wood slab as the drawer. We made sure to match the hardware on the underside of the desk to the legs.

live edge desk

Looking good!

live edge desk

And that is it! It looks so awesome.

live edge desk

I'm so proud of this beautiful desk!

live edge desk

Would you put this to good use? Let us know what you think in the comments below!

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/riggs_builds/

• KHK

Where did you get a beautiful piece of wood and legs for $50?

• Chas

The post has been updated to reflect the true price. Sorry for the confusion.

• Sandra Ross Warren

What did you use the clamps for? There was no explanation.

• Chris

What it looks like to me is he jointed then biscuited and glued 3 or 4 boards together. The clamps are there to hold the boards together as they dried. Looks GREAT and is something very easy to make for yourself or to sell. Great Job!! Schmidty

• Sandra Ross Warren

I do woodworking and I know what the clamps are used for but he said he started with the slab, cleaned, sanded, and filled the holes with epoxy so there is no gluing together of a slab. Is the clamping photo from a different project placed in there by mistake.

• Chas

Sandra for the scope of this diy project I didn’t discuss how we sanded and cleaned it. Yes I cut the slab down to more manageable pieces then re glued them.

An an extra step that isn’t necessary. The photo has been removed. Sorry for the confusion.

• John Biermacher

would you please clarify you technique for using epoxy filler. I have a technique for tinting auto body filler, but always open to different ideas. https://www.hometalk.com/34340531/using-and-tinting-auto-body-filler-for-wood-repair

• Chris

Epoxy filler for wood makes it so the cracks in the boards after sanding them do not keep cracking. It’s just like anything else you can use Epoxy filler to make the old boards look restored, but still have that old look to them. Does that make sense? Schmidty

• John Biermacher

Most two part epoxies, including the ones in the material list, are clear. The photos look as if they are opaque. So I am wondering if there is a filler component in addition to parts A and part B.

• Chas

Great question my friend. Yes. The two part epoxy is what we used. The tint is from a company called black diamond pigments. You can tint epoxy any color you can think of!!

• John Biermacher

Thank you. I’ll do some investigation. I failed to tell you how great the table looks. Terrific project!!!

• Em

Almost choked when I looked at your link for slab wood at $1883.00. How were you lucky enough to get yours?

• Chas

Well that one is shipping included. We have a local lumber yard and antique dealer with much better prices. Slabs range from 50-800 dollars there.

• Em

Thanks Chas. It IS lovely.

• Retta Robinson

Where can one get legs like that? Hope it's not a private person you know.

• Chas

Amazon, Etsy, local black smith. They are very popular!

• Tina

I got very lucky- my father had gotten a half a trunk in slices from a local sawmill and got sick before he was able to use it. It sat in the garage for about 25 years when i decided it would be nice to make a desk and shelves out of. I used 3 pieces of curly maple and results are stunning!

• SavvyGal

Absolutely Beautiful! Natural elements with metal what a wonderful combination. This would be a piece to use in a very modern/contemporary style home/office. Consider going commercial, it's that good!