Amy Farrell
Amy Farrell
  • Fort Dodge, IA

Antique Mirror Turned Into Shabby Chic Frame

$20

Hi guys! I found this really old and super heavy mirror in an abandoned storage unit we own. It was so heavy I was scared to hang it and the wood was so dark it really looked dated. I popped out the mirror and gave it a fresh new look! You can style this frame so many different ways now.

antique mirror turned into shabby chic frame

As I said before I found this mirror in an abandoned storage unit so it was absolutely FREE! Yay! But it was super heavy and the dark walnut stain really dated it and hid all of the gorgeous detail.

I started off by carefully removing the old mirror. Then I used 240 grit sandpaper and sanded by hand the top detailed part. Because this wood is walnut I knew it would take awhile to get the lighter wood look i was going for so I got out my hand held sander with 100 grit paper and sanded mire. I wanted to keep some of the darker color so I varied between the 240 and 100 grit paper. And, because I knew I was going to paint the frame i kept my sanding mostly to the detailing at top and the corners of the frame. Once I was done sanding I wiped it down thoroughly.

I painted the whole frame with white chalk paint using a chalk paint/wax brush so I could get inside the grooves of the detailing. Once the paint was dry I went back over the frame and hand sanded the white off where I wanted the wood to show through. You can see the different wood tones showing through to add dimension.

Here are the materials I used to achieve this look. Along with 100 and 240 grit sandpaper. You really could use any paint you have on hand it doesn’t have to be chalk paint. I just wanted the matte chalky finish for this particular frame but any type will work.

Here is the new updated look of this once old mirror turned into a fun shabby chic frame. This could be decorated so many different ways. I have it displayed when you walk inside my back door.

• Annie

Hi did you put glass in the frame

• Annie

If there is nothing in the frame what have you written hi on

• Dana

what do you think that the mirror and the frame was worth before you changed it since it was an antique it is very beautiful both ways

• Amy Farrell

I honestly am not sure? My dad owns an antique shop and when I showed him he wasn’t necessarily interested in it so to me that meant it wasn’t super unique. I’m assuming it went on top of a dresser at one time.

• Linda Abate

Very pretty and welcoming. A piece that you can really personalize. The final finish looks awesome.

• Kyralee

Beautiful transformation of that frame! It would look cute with other framed pictures inside it as well. It's like a gallery within a frame. I've seen some of those on pinterest.