End Table Coastal Makeover

$20

We’ve had this end table (and the matching coffee table) for YEARS. They used to be a chocolate brown color. When we moved into our new house 3 years ago, the color just didn’t look right with the coastal vibe I was going for, so I chalk painted them both white. The paint was starting to look a little dingy and I wanted to spruce them up a bit and add some interest. Today I am focusing on the end table only. Here is what I did to change it’s look.

end table coastal makeover

Since this table had already been painted white, using chalk paint, it just needed some touching up. The first thing I did was bring the table outside to my ‘workshop’, aka my yard. I used a whole can of this spray paint with a built in primer.

Ta daaaaa…..Here it is after I spray painted it.

end table coastal makeover

I purchased some Bahamas nautical map wrapping paper on Amazon to apply to the top of the table. It came with 5 sheets of paper. It is a nice thick quality, and I plan to use the left over for other projects. To adhere it to the top of the table, I cut a piece down to size, and used spray adhesive to glue it to the top. I flipped the paper over, layed it on my tarp, and sprayed the top 1/4 of the paper. 

end table coastal makeover

Then I lined it up on the table, and glued it down using a smoothing tool to get rid of any bubbles.

end table coastal makeover

Then I continued flipping the remaining paper up, spraying a little at a time, until the whole piece was glued to the table. Afterwards, I continued using the smoothing tool to make sure all the bubbles were gone from the piece and then I left it to dry overnight. It looked awesome!

end table coastal makeover

The next morning lots of bubbles appeared and it looked pretty bad! I applied 3 coats of Mod Podge to the top and keep smoothing out the bubbles as best I could in between coats. I used a rolling pin, and a smoothing tool. I even popped a few with a pin. Some of them were stubborn! I kept thinking, OMG what did I do, this looks terrible. Anyway, after it sat and dried, most of the bubbles magically disappeared! Phew!!! It is not perfect, but it looks WAY better.

end table coastal makeover

Here it is after smoothing out the bubbles. Not perfect, but much better.

end table coastal makeover

To complete the nautical look I added a rope around the edge of the map. I used elmers all purpose glue to adhere the rope to the table. After I put the glue on, I held it in place while my husband nailed in some Brad Nails to make sure it was really secure.

end table coastal makeover

Lastly, I applied 2 coats of this  MinWax polyuerthane to the entire piece to protect the surface.

Annnnnnddddd, here is the finished product.

end table coastal makeover
end table coastal makeover
end table coastal makeover
The House house

• Have you thought about ironing your paper before mod podge? I did a map project for a friend and AAA gave them to me for free. They are folded and I ironed them with a dry iron under my threadbare linen pressing cloth. Helps get the creases out and goes on a tad bit easier. I am old school and iron my clothes every morning. Even my jeans!

• Joanie

Sharp! I really like this........maybe a plane or ship,  boat.......train, bus....some form of old antique transportation which give it a touch of character???????

• Connie

When we moved to Florida 25 years ago. I wanted to take a cruise. We did go on a small cruise. We went to the Caribbean, the place I liked the most. I would like to do this on an end table that needs to be re finished. This would be cool. Can this be covered with Glass or Plexiglas??

• The House house

Oh fun! I agree, the Caribbean is amazing. Yes I think glass or plexiglass on top of this is a great idea!!!! My cat has spilled water on this twice, (and it still looks good) but glass would protect it even more.

• Lorie Olbrisch Good

I'm planning on doing something similar, I got poster board, and I'm making Several Civil War collage posters. I plan on coating them like you did and use Mussel bond to put them on my kitchen walls for a backsplash, once I get the cabinets painted blue and grey. Then trim it out with painted matching mouldings. I'm starting at the top of the wall behind the refrigerator to test out and tweak the process. I love your project! Oh the ideas!!

• Binky65
    2 hours ago

Very nice & such a cute table!