Should I paint my window surround?

+12

I’m painting my kitchen cabinets (finally!). I’m having a hard time deciding what I should do with the window surround. Leave it or paint it? We have a wood floor so it’ll tie in that way if I leave it, but Im not convinced it’ll look right. I’m also looking for recommendations for wall color.Counter tops and appliances have to stay for now, but they’ll be getting the boot soon! 😁Please see pictures to see we’re I am in the process.

q to paint or not to paint window surround help

Finished coffee bar area.

• Judi Judi on Mar 19, 2019

Yes it gives character, and adds to the look

• Maria Maria on Mar 19, 2019

Myself I would paint the window trim an egg shell or cream white.

I think that pop of brightness will open your eyes to the color you

picked as well as opening the larger look for your kitchen. Just my opinion. Your floors look great and I

hope whatever you decide will make you to feel good as well. Good luck. Maria Roberts from Shoreline.

• paint it to match the cabinets

• 2dogal 2dogal on Mar 19, 2019

Finish the cabinets. Then you will be better able to see if you want to change the window molding - If you wand it to recede or stand out.

• William William on Mar 19, 2019

What color are your door trim, baseboards, and other window trim. They all should basically match throughout the house.

• Bonnie Terk Bonnie Terk on Mar 19, 2019

Looks great so far! I agree with waiting until you are done with the cabinets. Think long term as to what your vision is for your paint and counters before deciding. Once you paint your walls it will be easier to tell which way to go. I would select a light neutral wall color that has a bit of warmth to it like a light wheat color.

• Denise Denise on Mar 23, 2019

We were leaning toward colors in the pale yellow/wheat family. Thanks for the input!

• Joanne Joanne on Mar 19, 2019

I say leave your window the wood tone once you do it you WILL need to do it again and again. and it may stick when you open and close it.

• Grace Curtis Grace Curtis on Mar 20, 2019

No helpful hint don't paint the insured just give a poly or

sealer

• Flipturn Flipturn on Mar 24, 2019

I would suggest to paint it the same color as the walls, as it would make the space look larger and less chopped up.

Have you found a new home yet for the dated window valance?

• See 1 previous
    • Flipturn Flipturn on Mar 26, 2019

I think that the awning style showed in your picture would be more practical in a kitchen than a roman shade, as it will be easier to vacuum, and to keep it clean. Besides, roman shades are not always the most convenient to raise and lower.

I noticed that you have an old style pot light over your sink. I would suggest that you swap it out with a new shallow integrated LED light. Besides being more energy efficient and not giving off any heat, these lights are so much cleaner and crisper than (yellowish) incandescent or (greenish) fluorescent, instantly updating your room.