How We Killed the Smurf

20K Views
Our house was on and off the market for well over a year before we stumbled on it. When I walked into the house, I immediately knew it was "the one". My husband was completely underwhelmed (but luckily is game for just about anything).
Our realtor thought we were nuts for wanting to put an offer on it.
"Why" you ask? Well, there are many examples I could give, but we'll just talk about our daughter's room right now.
This was her room BEFORE.
Difficulty: Medium
  • bedroom ideas girls room transformation, bedroom ideas, home decor, shabby chic, shelving ideas, wall decor
Sure, there is a time and a place for Smurf blue! It is on Saturday mornings, on the TV, back in the 80s. Not on my walls in 2014 (at least not in my house...if smurfy blue makes you happy, by all means, go for it!).
We wanted to kill the smurf.
It's not very P.C. to say, but it's the ugly (in this case, VERY ugly) truth. The smurf room had to die.
So, we got rid of the carpet, and installed birch handscraped hardwoods. A bold yellow damask wallpaper was chosen for the walls. We took out the ceiling fan (even though I do agree that a nice ceiling fan can be very useful) and installed a petite shabby chic chandelier...
See the random ledge that sat under the window in the picture above?
That's where a bunch of HVAC ductwork was housed, we made some built-ins on top of it to help make some sense of it being there.
>>> Wanna see the finished space? >>>
It's bright, cheery, and not a HINT of smurfiness is left!

Suggested materials for this project:

Heathered Nest

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question