Virginia B
Virginia B
  • Fayetteville, GA

Upcycled Broken Chair

$10

People like to give me stuff. Stuff otherwise destined for the dump. Sometimes I take it and it ends up in the dump anyway, but often times I figure out something to do with it. When a friend brought me this back of a broken Adirondack chair, I immediately thought it should be painted and placed in a flower bed.

upcycled broken chair

The individual boards made it the perfect canvas for painting a flag. So I started by painting every other slat with the color Barn Red from the Dixie Belle Paint Company.

upcycled broken chair

I painted the remaining slats with Dixie Belle's color Fluff.

upcycled broken chair

I painted a rectangular section of the chair back with the color, Yankee Blue.

upcycled broken chair

I used the color Fluff to paint stars onto the blue section. If you prefer to not hand paint the stars, you could paint that section white, let dry, place star stickers over the white, paint over that section with blue, then peel up the stickers to reveal the white stars.

upcycled broken chair

I gave the chair back a good sanding to distress it. It would have been fine if I stopped there, but to age it a little more, I added Dixie Belle glaze. I started with the color Grunge, then added Van Dyke Brown, and finished it off with Black glaze. I sealed the flag with clear wax.

upcycled broken chair

The flag adds the perfect patriotic touch to my garden. And, it looks much better there than in the landfill!

upcycled broken chair

Virginia B