Privacy Plus a Garden Area!

$200

To gain privacy in our back area, I had my husband build me vertical garden. It works great and I love all the color where it use to look so bare!

My husband started by attaching the vertical boards to our existing deck.

Another view!

Then he added the stair risers and boards.

This is a very used, but salvageable gutter that I cleaned.

It was cut down to size and spray painted a brilliant lime green and turquoise color! I also drilled holes in the bottom for drainage.

A neighbor’s friend dropped off some cedar that he didn’t want and I thought it would be a great top for the structure.

Cross wood added to attach those colorful gutters!

My hubby attaching that cedar. The horizontal boards are also cedar from the same person. We really only had to buy the 4x4 posted and stair stringer. ( I hope that is the right terminology)

Containers ready to be filled. I liked the visual of the stair step idea but an extra added bonus was it made it easy to get to the upper gutter.

We added the wire in the back so the deer wouldn’t eat my flowers.

So it didn’t look complete, so I had my husband add on another section and it looked so much better.

I alternated the gutter color on the new section and I love it.

Another view of later on in the season. It makes me so happy to see this when I walk out and it created the privacy I wanted!

• Mary Ann DeBenedetto

Did you drill holes in the gutters for drainage ? Looks great

• Jody Harris

Oh yes I did! Thanks for pointing that out. I will add that to this post!

• Linda Premo

It looks like you have your own private nursery. I love how green and alive it all looks. I was wondering why you didn’t spray paint the planters on the stairs to match your turquoise and lime green rain gutters?? It’s very picturesque!!!!

• Nancy

I'm curious, it appears you have a garage door on the back of your house with no way to access it. Is there a driveway that doesn't show in the photos, or is it something else?

• Jamie Boyce

My ex has a garage with doors on both ends. The main door can be accessed via the front driveway, the back gives access to the backyard (and has no driveway, just access to the back yard. Maybe they have a similar set-up...?

• Nita Jones

Very nice, pretty project but I had to chuckle at the idea that wire at the back will keep deer away. One morning I opened my dining room drape to see that a deer just a couple of feet just outside my window was devouring the flower bed against my house. She just looked up at me and put her head down again. I have tried just about everything but my deer must be "nose dead" because nothing seems to faze or stop them, not even a fence. But I really like your garden screen!!!

• Jody Harris

Thank you. I do love deer, but not when they eat my garden! Nothing seems to phase them.