Jody Harris
Jody Harris
  • Tutorial Team
  • Shelton, WA

Privacy Plus a Garden Area!

$200

To gain privacy in our back area, I had my husband build me vertical garden. It works great and I love all the color where it use to look so bare!

privacy plus a garden area

My husband started by attaching the vertical boards to our existing deck.

privacy plus a garden area

Another view!

privacy plus a garden area

Then he added the stair risers and boards.

privacy plus a garden area

This is a very used, but salvageable gutter that I cleaned.

privacy plus a garden area

It was cut down to size and spray painted a brilliant lime green and turquoise color! I also drilled holes in the bottom for drainage.

privacy plus a garden area

A neighbor’s friend dropped off some cedar that he didn’t want and I thought it would be a great top for the structure.

privacy plus a garden area

Cross wood added to attach those colorful gutters!

privacy plus a garden area

My hubby attaching that cedar. The horizontal boards are also cedar from the same person. We really only had to buy the 4x4 posted and stair stringer. ( I hope that is the right terminology)

privacy plus a garden area

Containers ready to be filled. I liked the visual of the stair step idea but an extra added bonus was it made it easy to get to the upper gutter.

privacy plus a garden area

We added the wire in the back so the deer wouldn’t eat my flowers.

privacy plus a garden area

So it didn’t look complete, so I had my husband add on another section and it looked so much better.

privacy plus a garden area

I alternated the gutter color on the new section and I love it.

privacy plus a garden area

Another view of later on in the season. It makes me so happy to see this when I walk out and it created the privacy I wanted!

• Stair stringer  (Home Depot)
  • Wire fencing  (Had already)
  • Cedar  (Had already)

• Barb

How did you attach the gutters? Did you just screw them into the planks? I love this idea and think I'm going to try it. :)

• Jody Harris

Yes, he just screwed them intto the cedar boards. Good luck on trying yours!

• Mary Ann DeBenedetto

Did you drill holes in the gutters for drainage ? Looks great

• Jody Harris

Oh yes I did! Thanks for pointing that out. I will add that to this post!

• Linda Premo

It looks like you have your own private nursery. I love how green and alive it all looks. I was wondering why you didn’t spray paint the planters on the stairs to match your turquoise and lime green rain gutters?? It’s very picturesque!!!!

• Karin

It looks great with the natural wood - you did a wonderful job and it’s really cool looking with all the plants - your right about over-kill Michelle - I’ve been doing garden and landscaping for years - I like it just the way it is - great job!

• Linda

loved it and i'm going to make one too..

• Jody Harris

Good luck! My spring annuals are all starting to come alive. Makes me smile every time I go by it!