Jim Cox
Jim Cox
  • Tutorial Team
  • Springfield, MO

Easy Flower Box From Fence Cedar

$9

After I broke a clay pot, I wanted a custom flower box for my front deck, something easy and cheap. This came together quickly too.

post

Here are a couple of 72" fence pickets from Lowe's (ignore the wood on the right, that's for another barn door). The end is 'dog eared' so the useable lenghth for me is 70". Two pickets will make a 35" flower box (or less if needed) with wood to spare. These were $3 each

post

I measured the width of the cedar (which will become the height of the flower box) to get an idea of how deep I could make it. I had an idea to offset the front and back... see below.

post

Here are three pieces about 35" long each, two ends, and a center support

post

First I stapled the back to the bottom. I buy my staples $10/pack on Amazon, I used less than $1 worth on this project

post

Then the front, and finally the sides. Here's an end view. Using the standard width of the pickets for the bottom meant I didn't have to cut anything but 'height' on the sides to minimize complexity.

I reduced the depth to reduce weight on my deck railing. The offset simply makes it look bigger than it is. The color of the cedar will be a good contrast to the brown my deck is already painted.

post

I stapled in a smaller center support to keep the front from bowing out once soil and water is added. It's not as tall as the sides as not to be visible

easy flower box from fence cedar

I didn't want to use screws (simply for the look) and always hope to minimize damage to my deck railings, so I found these hooks for $1.28 at Lowe's

easy flower box from fence cedar

Next I selected a drill bit that would clear the hook, but not any bigger than necessary

easy flower box from fence cedar

I drilled two holes in the back, one at each end. The 1x4 scrap underneath is to keep from damaging the bit when it goes thru

easy flower box from fence cedar

I pre-drilled the deck railing for the hooks with a 1/8" bit, and used a pair of vice grips to install them. I tested often to make sure the hooks would hold the flower box secure and up close, but not too tight as not to be able to install/remove

easy flower box from fence cedar

Here's the left end view of the flower box. The center support is visible upper right.

easy flower box from fence cedar

And finally withi some bedding plants.

If anyone has ideas to improve, I'd love to have your input

• C Crow

Now I know why I hung on to too many extra fence boards! Nice instructions. Thank you!

• Linda

This is a keeper, putting on my honey do list...

Because he has the materials and IVe been wanting Window boxes.. thanks fir the east to follow instructions!

• Jim Cox

Glad to help. Keep an eye on my projects for another 'fence' idea :)