Kitchen

We DIY'd out kitchen using inexpensive products and a lot of paint! Visit www.beforemeetsafterblog.com for the UGLY befores and more information on how we remodeled our island for under $50! We completed the remodel in stages. We gutted the coutertops and old backsplash. We hauled away the stuff ourselves to save money and reused parts of the old countertops for a workspace in the basement. We shopped around for the best price on granite, saved and paid for that. A few weeks later, we shopped again for the best deal on tile and purchased that. We waited until our wall oven was 50% off at Sears to purchase that and we're still holding out on the cooktop and dishwasher until we can get the best deal. If you're on a budget, you have to be patient! We sat on that look for a few weeks until deciding what to do with the island. We purchased a few sheets of beadboard, reused the existing trim, and painted the island with leftover paint and glaze. We even spray painted light fixtures and hardware to save money!
new kitchen

Lisa

• Tracy Flamm

Hi Lisa. I love your kitchen! What did you use for the backsplash?

• Angel Sweeney

Where did you find the paisley fabric that you used for your curtains

• Noele Edwards

Lisa, I know this is about your kitchen island, but I have a question about your back splash renovation. How did you go about moving the outlets from the middle height in the back splash to the much better location of just above the counter tops? I didn't see this as a topic on your blog and I'm about to tear into my yucky ceramic tile to replace it. I've seen plug molds up under the cabinets, but don't want to see all the cords that much. Your solution of the low level is PERFECT! Willing to show us?