Natalie
Natalie
  • Duluth, MN

DIY Olive Tree Topiary

$20

Who doesn't love a really simple craft or DIY decor project to spruce up their home!? I'm for sure on board when it comes to simple, cheap, and effective projects! This one definitely lives up to all of those things!

diy olive tree topiary

Supplies

Pot 

2 Olive Leaf Sprays 

Moss

Floral Foam

Floral Tape or Floral Wire (optional)

Hot Glue Gun and Glue 

Used Plastic Grocery Bags

Wire Cutters

diy olive tree topiary

I started by clipping the stems down a bit so they were the height I wanted. I made them 22″ tall from the bottom of the stem to the top of the tallest stem. And then I arranged the two stems together to create one bigger spray of leaves.

I used just a little bit of floral wire that I had on hand to secure the stems together, but floral tape would be great for this too if you want a more realistic look!

diy olive tree topiary

Next I put my foam in my pot, but since the foam I had on hand was smaller than the pot, I used extra grocery bags to hold the foam in place.

diy olive tree topiary

Once my foam was centered in the pot, I stuck my olive leaf arrangement in the center of the foam, and pushed it all the way to the bottom. Then I used a glue gun to glue the stems into place – making them stay in place better.

diy olive tree topiary

The final step was to place a little bit of moss on the top of the foam, up to the edge of the pot. This just makes the plant look a little bit more real and covers up all the ugly foam and grocery bags. Or you could also fill it up with dirt to make it look even more natural!

diy olive tree topiary

That's alll there is to it! If you're a visual learner, watch the quick 6 minute video on our blog to see the whole process! (click the little button below to go to our blog)

This project was super quick – only 5-10 min! It sure didn’t break the bank either at around $20! And its not just a tiny little plant either! Wahoo!

• Pot
  • 2 Olive Leaf Sprays
  • Moss
Natalie

• Nancy Belle

Are these real olive sprays or artificial? Would real branches and leaves wilt pretty fast?

• Kim

Jose, if you click the highlighted “Olive Leaf Sprays” in the supply list, it takes you to an Amazon page where you can buy them.

• Anna

I really like this project, thanks for sharing! What size pot did you use and is it a table or floor size?

• Nita

Anna , I believe this would be too small for the floor ,but might look good on a fireplace hearth , or a small table , but you’d want to put a couple other acc. With it .

• User

Can I use real olive sprays?