Art Deco Rescue On the Side

$75

These two side tables had great bones but needed help to bring them back to their former glory. The veneer tops were gone and the veneer bottoms were warped and wonky.

The first step was to remedy the tops. Using thin pallet wood, I picked out 3 boards for each and rounded the front corners with a skill saw.

Using 1” finish screws I next attached the boards to the top counter sinking the screws. I then sanded the boards to make them as level as possible and filled the screw holes with wood putty.

The next problem to solve was what to do with the warped veneer on the bottom. Sanding, filling with wood putty and sanding the putty gave me a much smoother surface ready for paint.

I used a General Finishes Coastal Blue Milk Paint for my color. Really liked the color and how smooth it went on. I sealed the paint with General Finishes Satin. I then gave several coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar Utethane to the drawers and the pallet wood on top. I kept the drawers their original cool wood-look veneer.

These little tables were challenging on many levels. Like all vintage furniture rescues there will always be age spots.

I celebrate those flaws and hope I have rescued them for many years to come.