DIY Cake Pan Ceiling Lamp Shade

$10

I found this lovely ceiling light online that was WAY out of my budget, so I made my own version! See how I made it below.

Instead of spending a couple hundred dollars on a tiered metal lamp shade I decided to make my own using items from a thrift shop! I found three springform cake pans for $3 and I already had the wire hangers. All I had to buy was the gold spray paint.

Clean any dirt and grease off your pans. In a well ventilated area (preferably outside and wearing a mask and eye protection), spray multiple coats of gold paint (allow 10 minutes in between coats).

Optional: This step is optional. I didn’t like the super glossy clean gold look, so immediately after each spray paint I’d squirt a light mist of my water/vinegar mixture onto the paint, blotting the excess water off with a paper towel. The vinegar sort of eats the paint off and gives it an older/rough look.

Drill 4 evenly spaced holes along the edge of the large cake pan.

Repeat this step with the small and medium cake pans, then add 4 more holes on the OPPOSITE edge of each pan.

Cut 2 sections of hanger to be larger than the diameter of the medium cake pan, then repeat this step for the small cake pan.

Cut four 3 inch hanger pieces for the larger cake pan. Use these wires to attach the cake pans to each other. Feed the wires through the small and medium to attach, then curve the wire to loop the medium pan to the large pan.

Use wire to attach the lamp shade to the existing frame of the previous ceiling light. No dealing with any electrical at all. Just attach!

To check out the full tutorial with more photos, head on over to my blog: https://thepapermama.com/2013/09/cake-pan-lamp-shade-yeah/

The Paper Mama