Cliffeton green
Cliffeton green
  • Camp Hill, PA

Stenciling a Wood Deck in a Diamond Pattern

$400

I decided I wanted to give my outdoor deck an extra pop! and a great way to do that was in painting and then stenciling the wood deck.

stenciling a wood deck in a diamond pattern

15 X 18 feet. Perfect size for an outdoor entertainment area. The shrubbary on the far side of the deck was overgrown and would have taken years to grow back had I cut it way back. So I completely cut it out. I replaced it with a trellis running the full length of the deck, 18ft. That provided me with privacy from the neighbor to the east. The trellis also gave me the ability to grow flowering vines on it. An extra plus.

I stained everything white. Keeping up with the white was something that would be dealt with as the need arose. This was no time to be practical. I was going for a WOW factor! White in this situation gives you the Wow factor. 4 X 8ft. panels of trellis were groved into 2 X 6 boards, secured on the top and against the railing. Then I proceeded with taping the deck off. I measured the deck off in 18 inch squares, appropriate for the size of deck we were dealing with.

I found a blue/gray stain that was a perfect color for my taste. After finishing the deck and thinking I was finished, I removed all the tape only to discover

there was a one inch gap between all of the corners. I had to retape to incorporate all of the corners. It wasn't as hard as the first time cause I was able to cheat here and there.

Almost finished and looking beautiful! Took me 20 hours and 270 yards of tape.

Finished! Heaven on earth
Finished! Heaven on earth

• GrandmaHoney

Can you paint a composite deck. My deck is a dark merlot color that gets so hot that you can not walk on it barefoot, and the dog can’t even lay on it. I am wondering if doing it white might solve this problem. Not to mention that I love what you did with yours!

• Lisa West

Lol dont you love spell check. Some times it comes out with the most imappropriate words. Lol. Now to the paint. Also use a primer to. Omposit decks are great how ever do hey very hot. Get the right paint for your deck and de use primer. Less maintenance and more enjoyment. I personally would still purchase an out door carpet for your furbaby and all the bar feet that will use the space. Betyer to be safe. Also some type of shade. Umbrella, gazebo or make your own awning. Shade on a deck or porch h is important. It will also help to keep the inside of the home cooler as well .

• Grandma Pat

What did you clean it with before you stained it?

• Debra Shumway Stark

Where did you find the white stain? Did it take more than one coat? All I’m finding is white wash stain. Thank you!!

• Neva Dew

Maybe the white is the tint base with no color added? I clicked on the Sherwin Williams pic and the can is a tint base which I assume to be white.