How to Make an Easter Centerpiece

$45

I spotted an amazing Easter centerpiece in Southern Living back in 2015. I was totally in awe of the mechanics and art that went into creating the piece and have been trying to work out the mechanics to

how to make an easter centerpiece

I knew I wanted to take a stab at making this myself, but I ran into a number of challenges that I finally conquered this year! The first being that I could not find a fishbowl with a small opening like the one used by Southern Living. 

how to make an easter centerpiece

Finally I settled on this glass bowl that is 9 and a half inches deep and 9 inches across at the opening. This would have to do. This size is easy to find at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. IMPORTANT: Do not ever pick up one of these bowls by the rim, make sure you carry it from the bottom and sides. The rim can break off easily .

how to make an easter centerpiece

A floral cage would not fit across the top of this bowl and I really didn’t want water sitting in the bottom of my bowl beneath the carrots. Setting a plastic salad plate across the top of the bowl seemed to be the answer. I drilled two holes in one of two plastic plates and four holes in a second plate. 

how to make an easter centerpiece

First, I cut the green tops off of my carrots. Using floral wire, I stuck the wire through my carrots and gathered them into a tight bunch. 

how to make an easter centerpiece

The wires from the carrots were pulled up through the two holes in the first plate, securing the carrots hanging beneath. I did tuck a couple of little carrot greens into the top of the carrots to hide any wires that might show.

how to make an easter centerpiece

It is very important to secure the plates to the glass bowl. I used waterproof floral table to do this. 

how to make an easter centerpiece
how to make an easter centerpiece

A piece of wet floral foam was secured into a cage and that cage was then anchored to the second plate through the four drilled holes. This second plate can then be set upon the first and also firmly anchored with additional waterproof tape.

how to make an easter centerpiece

Carrot tops were the first thing I added to my arrangement.

how to make an easter centerpiece

Radishes and brussel sprouts were put on bamboo skewers to add them among the flowers to my arrangement.

how to make an easter centerpiece

I don’t think I could be happier with how my arrangement turned out. Now, if only I had Southern Living’s photographers capturing mine! This will be a lovely centerpiece for my Easter table. I hope I have inspired you and have offered you enough details that you can create this for yourself! 

Celebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)

• Laurie Laurent-Hyland

Very pretty!

• Becky

I love this! So creative and gorgeous. If I make one like it, I will set my collection of porcelain bunnies around the base of it on the table! Thank you for helping us figure out how to do this project.