Farmhouse-style Aged Galvanized Hanging Bucket Planters

$12
1 Day

Just in time for warmer weather when some of us have decorating our porches on the brain, I'm sharing how I turned store-bought galvanized buckets into hanging planters that look like they've been aged for years. It's an easy way to give your porch farmhouse style!

farmhouse style aged galvanized hanging bucket planters

I started with a 8 quart galvanized bucket that I picked up from Tractor Supply. You can also find them at the home improvement stores including Ace Hardware.

Tractor Supply and Ace Hardware also sell chain-by-the-foot. I bought 4 foot of chain per bucket, some S-hooks, and a drill bit made for drilling metal.

To give the buckets an aged patina, I used Lysol Power Cleanser. If you're looking for an all-natural product to age steel quickly, you can use 100% Lye powder, but it's difficult to find in the stores. For either one, be sure to wear gloves.

The other thing you'll need to age the buckets is grocery bags. You're probably wondering where I'm going with the grocery bags but I'll show you that next. :)

(You can see another project I used plastic grocery bags for in this post for a painting technique.)

After lightly sanding the bucket, brush the cleanser on the outside surface. To speed up the process and prevent the cleaner from drying up before it has the chance to work its magic, sit it in a grocery bag and smooth out the air pockets. The bags also give the pail a unique texture.

After drilling holes in the bottom for drainage, I drilled holes on the sides for the S-hooks. Then, I added the chains that are connected at the top with another S-hook.

In the fall, I took off the chains and planted mums in the buckets. This picture is one of them that made it through the winter in a basement window. It looks like it's getting ready to bloom again!

I'd love for you to check out all the details and pictures in my blog post on Simplicity in the South. I really love how my ferns look in these farmhouse style hanging planter buckets! In the cooler months, I can take the chains off and use the buckets for mums in the fall on the steps. I might even put some small evergreens in them for Christmas time beside the front door. How would you use theses aged galvanized planters? Let me know in the comments!

Tricia @ Simplicity In The South

• Nana

I would like to try this bucket project, my question is do you take/ peel off the grocery plastic bag when bucket dries?

• Cindy

YES I love the bucket project. I buy Ferns every summer,but they just don't last throughout the winter season indoors. DO you have any input or ideas on this?

I spend a lot of $ every year on ferns. Thank you

• Anna Ibarra
      An hour ago

I like in the south and a friend told to me plant them in the grown or they last the winter. Mine did. I also clump several hanging together and they kind of hugged each to keep warm. Mine were in my back deck and hung under my pergola. Severe cold I did cover them while hanging.

• Laurie Ledbetter

what type of cleaner do you use