DIY Hula Hoop Wood Shelf

$10

Okay, you will not believe what I made using some dollar store 24" hula hoops. Check it out!

Hula Hoops

Tools and Materials

• 2 hula hoops
  • Spray paint
  • 2 wood planks
  • Saw
  • Sandpaper
  • Wood stain
  • Drill
  • Wooden dowels
Paint the Hula Hoops
Paint the Hula Hoops

First I started by spray painting my two hula hoops with Rustoleum Oil Brushed Bronze.

Then let it dry.

Cut Wood Shelves
Cut Wood Shelves

I then cut my 2 wood shelves. I came up with 23” that was to the edge of my hula hoops.

Sand
Sand

Then I sanded them down.

Stain
Stain

Then I stained the wood on all sides.

Drill Holes
Drill Holes

I then drilled some pilot holes through the hoop and into the wood.

Level
Level

I used a box to level between shelves and drilled in the second shelf.

DIY Hula Hoop Shelves

Resting it like this made drilling the shelves in easier to do!

Add Dowels
Add Dowels

After the shelves were in place, I added two wooden dowels to the base to make sure it wouldn't rock. If you have any mistakes, just use some electric tape and spray paint to cover any errors.

Homemade Hula Hoops Shelves

And that's it, it's done and ready to be used!

DIY Easy Hula Hoop Shelves

Here it is on my bathroom vanity I think it turned out super cute! What do you think? The whole shelf only cost me $10! See more great items at Gilbert Marketplace

18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home

• Kim
    Kim

I'm thinking of big hula hoops I had as a kid, and can't imagine it fitting on a bathroom vanity??

• G
      G

They used 24 inch ones which are smaller than those big ones we used as a kid.🙂

• Brett Langlois
    Brett Langlois

Are you single?

• Dee Dee Scala
      Dee Dee Scala

To cute 😊 and both single.. keep us posted if you two end up dating , oh and I love this project, super awesome 👏

• Daisy
    Daisy

Came out nice only problem I see these hula hoops are super flimsy and not not hold together well, is another piece missing to make them sturdy for the weight of the wood?

• Melody Boling Medlock
    Melody Boling Medlock

I originally seen this project on White Sparrow Living YouTube channel. Theirs was sturdier and able to be hung on a wall. They look a lot better when you remove the foil paper from them before painting as well. If any other crafters like to see high end Dollar Tree projects you should check them out. This is a good idea for free standing shelves though. Others have done this here on Hometalk as well.

• Mary McDonald
      Mary McDonald

That may be but we are respectfully on Shelly’s post now and I think it’s super cute and would look great somewhere in my living room!

• Taylor @ TayRose Design
    Taylor @ TayRose Design

Not much room on most vanity countertops, but I can see it hung on wall over toilet maybe. Great reuse of hula hoop!