DIY Hula Hoop Wood Shelf

$10

Okay, you will not believe what I made using some dollar store 24" hula hoops. Check it out!

Hula Hoops

Tools and Materials

• 2 hula hoops
  • Spray paint
  • 2 wood planks
  • Saw
  • Sandpaper
  • Wood stain
  • Drill
  • Wooden dowels
Paint the Hula Hoops
Paint the Hula Hoops

First I started by spray painting my two hula hoops with Rustoleum Oil Brushed Bronze.

Then let it dry.

Cut Wood Shelves
Cut Wood Shelves

I then cut my 2 wood shelves. I came up with 23” that was to the edge of my hula hoops.

Sand
Sand

Then I sanded them down.

Stain
Stain

Then I stained the wood on all sides.

Drill Holes
Drill Holes

I then drilled some pilot holes through the hoop and into the wood.

Level
Level

I used a box to level between shelves and drilled in the second shelf.

DIY Hula Hoop Shelves

Resting it like this made drilling the shelves in easier to do!

Add Dowels
Add Dowels

After the shelves were in place, I added two wooden dowels to the base to make sure it wouldn't rock. If you have any mistakes, just use some electric tape and spray paint to cover any errors.

Homemade Hula Hoops Shelves

And that's it, it's done and ready to be used!

DIY Easy Hula Hoop Shelves

Here it is on my bathroom vanity I think it turned out super cute! What do you think? The whole shelf only cost me $10! See more great items at Gilbert Marketplace

14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home

• Gina
    Gina

Really looks great! I just wonder, aren't the shelves so heavy they would rip the hula hoops?

• Linda Holmes Keating
    Linda Holmes Keating

Looks great! What diameter are the hula hoops please?

I have only ever seen big ones.

• Kurt Weir
      Kurt Weir

My friends make all size hula hoops with flexible plastic tubing....she did mention"23 inches"

• Linda Holmes Keating
      Linda Holmes Keating

Thanks for that! I saw that but it didn’t compute 😉

• April Temple
      April Temple

The hoops are 24" the shelves were cut to 23" so they would set just inside without hanging over.

• Mary Distel
    Mary Distel

Could this be hung on the wall behind/above the toilet? Love it but my bathroom is so small space is non-existent.

• Shanita Moss
      Shanita Moss

I have the same problem no space on my counter!

• Lauren.
      Lauren.

Possibly use larger command hooks to hang from??? I would do a couple for upper section AND couple for bottom for extra support/stability. DON'T OVERLOAD SHELVES. IF your own home you could put decorative hooks in wall and hang or a wood strip behind shelf attached to wall. Just a few ideas.

• TeacherMama
    TeacherMama

How stable is it? Even with the dowels, seems like one little bump would send it rolling.

• Enolac
      Enolac

Nice shelf but I have tried using these hoops for lesser projects and they cracked. They are also bound by paper substance that loosens in time. Go for more expense heavier hoops. Just my experience.

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

You can cover hoop in electrical tape if your worried I have not had a problem.

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

the hoop is 24" the shelf 23"

• Violet in
    Violet in

Nice! Any ideas how much weight the shelves can hold (1-2 lbs maybe?) before the hoops collapse since they are plastic and not metal?

• P74
    P74

What stops it from rolling ?

• Keisha
      Keisha

This is what Shelly stated in her directions: "After the shelves were in place, I added two wooden dowels to the base to make sure it wouldn't rock."

• Victoria Lukye
      Victoria Lukye

Dowels on the bottom

• Di
      Di

I think you’d have to add wedges to keep it from rolling.....any weight on the shelves that wasn’t perfectly balanced would roll it....

• Cathy Hays
      Cathy Hays

If you read her Directions She explains that's what the Dowels are for on the bottom.

• Lauren.
      Lauren.

Pictures 9,10, & 11 show the dowels clearly at the bottom of hula hoop. The dowels run between the two hoops underneath like feet. Once attached to bottom of hoops dowels don't roll.

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

yes correct the wood dowels stop the rolling for sure! When I added the dowels I leveled also at that time

• P74
      P74

Right you all are  Thanks for letting know..."get glasses Alice"...😉

• P74
      P74

Thanks for letting "me" know.... it's not easy getting old....🤣

• Jen
    Jen

This looks really great although I am a little concerned that it may collapse. Have you had any issues with it sagging or plastic cracking?

• Nora Godley
    Nora Godley

Well I love this! So crafty!!! I have questions tho... how long have you been using it now and how’s it holding up?

• Debra
    Debra

Looks great, but how sturdy is it?

• Betty Nuovo
    Betty Nuovo

Where did you get 23 inch hula hoops? That's pretty small for a hula hoop. Thanks.

• Linda
    Linda

What is keeping it from rolling?

• Sharon
    Sharon

Don't you need 8 screws? The material list says 4 but I think you need 4 per shelf.

• Steve
    Steve

What is the weight limit ?

• Kathryn Brolsma
    Kathryn Brolsma

You didn't say how long the 2 dowels are or how they were attached.

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

This will depend of the width of wood you use. I had 8” wide board add 4” if you want to stick out just a little. if you don’t measure after complete and cut to fit. I used E6000 and a drip of hot glue to hold while the E6000 dries

• Judy Weinmann
    Judy Weinmann

It looks like your shelves might be made out of 2 inch thick boards (which are actually approx. 1 and 3/4" thick when milled.) Could you please confirm the thickness for me? I think I inch thickness (which is approx. 3/4" when milled) might split when you put your screws in. Thanks for this Easy, Functional, and Modern looking display! Love it!

• Julie Mullins
    Julie Mullins

I think that is so cute. The wood iS not to heavy?

• Leslie
    Leslie

What was the approximate cost? I'm on a budget.

• Paducah Joe
    Paducah Joe

What keeps the shelf from rolling off when you put something with much weight on the end of th top shelf? Is it possible to offset the center of gravity fairly easily and roll the shelf sideways? In spite of my concerns, great job.

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

The 2 wood dowels at the bottom are the stands if you will that keeps it level

• Lena
      Lena

That's what the two bars at the bottom off sets.

• Macayla
      Macayla

That’s why she put two wooden dowels on the bottom to keep from rolling

• Cheryl
    Cheryl

can I use tea cjup hooks to make it a vanity for my jewellery ?

• CindyLou Brown
    CindyLou Brown

How much can you put on it? I would think the hula hoop would bend.

• Pam
    Pam

Your vanity space must be much larger than mine but interesting idea. Maybe on a porch?

• Sharon Tetrick-Corbin
    Sharon Tetrick-Corbin

You didn't mention the cross pieces at the bottom. What are they made from?

• Sarah
    Sarah

How do you keep the hula hoop from bending under the weight?

• Corine
    Corine

How did you attach the dowels?

• Susan Boothe
      Susan Boothe

With screws, like she did the shelves.

• April Temple
      April Temple

This is her answer to someone else that asked the same question. Hope it helps.

• April Temple
      April Temple

And a correction on the #of screws needed. She said in a question above that she used 4 screws on each side, so 8 total wood screws.

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

Thank you. You could use real small screws also

• Molly
    Molly

This is so cool. Where did the bars at the bottom come from?

• Susan Boothe
      Susan Boothe

She said she attached the wooden dowels on the bottom with screws, like she attached the shelves to the hoops.

• Kimm
      Kimm

She made the comment 2 wooden dowels were used

• April Temple
      April Temple

Again, Susan, their is never any mention of screws being used to attach the dowel rods. Only that she attended them after the shelves.

• April Temple
      April Temple

This is her answer to how she attended the dowel rods.

• Reba Billingsley
      Reba Billingsley

That's the wooden dowels that she added

• Kathy
    Kathy

How did you attach the rods on the bottom ? And would it work outside ?

• Krystal Witcher
      Krystal Witcher

You could use screws or glue. Either would work. I think it would be beautiful outside. I was thinking ther same thing.

• Gerri
      Gerri

That’s what I was thinking of using outside on deck. Just be sure to waterproof wood. Like this.

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

Screw could be used I just used E600 and hot glue to hold till the E6000 dries

• Ashley
    Ashley

Love the look, but wouldn't the hula hoops bend, and possibly break, under the weight of the shelves and items stacked on them? I'm thinking a solution may be to drill holes where the dowels go, and fill the hoops with expanding foam, or even cement to give it more structural integrity. Then lay them down to set up, and attach the dowels/shelves when the cement has almost set, or foam is done expanding. Just a thought.

• Jan Gillispie
    Jan Gillispie

Is there a weight limit since hula hoops can’t support much?

• Brenda Z
    Brenda Z

How could this possibly be attached to the wall? I’m looking for something in my bathroom that only fits over the small space in my 1/2 bath.

• Linda
      Linda

I'd use the hardware that they give you to put the curtain rods up... they are the kind that holds the curtains that have the big holes ..i'd place them on the wall the distance apart that would hold the shelf.. of course the shelf wouldn't be as big as the one shown because you're putting it on a wall. You may have to get sturdier rod holders.. ...just a thought..

• Lisa West
      Lisa West

Hou can also do the floating shelf bracket as well.

• Christi Ortlieb Tolson
      Christi Ortlieb Tolson

You could use a piece of wood and the decorative shelf brackets. The ones that look like wrought iron. They come in all different sizes and styles!

• Deborah Jarman
      Deborah Jarman

You could hang it on a wall by attaching picture hangers to the back of the top shelf. D-ring hangers would work well.

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

Leave the back hoop off attach the shelf’s and add the front hoop done 😊

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

No it will pull forward

• Julie
      Julie

I would keep it simple. Don’t place the weight on the hula hoop at all, instead place two seesaw hangers (one on each side) at the back portion of the top shelf. Easy!

Love this idea!👍🤗 Thank you!

• Julie
      Julie

oops! Forgot to say that if there’s space between the shelf and the wall (due to the hula hoop) then I’d simply place a sham or the appropriate thickness of wood where that hanger needed to be. Just a thought. 😉

• Carol Lacey
      Carol Lacey

Try commmand hooks. I use the heavier weight ones.

• Amber
    Amber

Wonder if you could fill the hooks hoops with sand or something it would be stronger overall?

• Cathy
    Cathy

I think it looks super cute, but how sturdy is it?

• Mary Profilio
    Mary Profilio

Do you have to make sure the weight of the things on the shelves are balanced on each side?

• Wanda Barnes
    Wanda Barnes

Wonderful idea! I love this project but how sturdy is this overall? I would differently buy one of these!

• Freddie
    Freddie

If the hula hoops

are plastic how is it going to be able to

suppose the wood.? Will it

it start to rip?

• Holly Donahue-Bannon
      Holly Donahue-Bannon

I thought the same thing. It looks pretty though. I just don’t know how long it will last.

• Susan Kay
      Susan Kay

You can also cut wooden dowels ( I would use 1/2" or 5/8" and put them just under where the shelves ride for additional support...especially if you're putting a heavy plant on it!

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

Made several it works this cubbing is durable

• Janie Anderson
    Janie Anderson

Genius! ....and it looks so lux. Could this be done with thinner boards? Or, does the weight help it's stability? Thank you! Janie/TX

• Rebecca
    Rebecca

Looks beautiful but,but how sturdy would the plastic hoops be because of the weight of the wood and anything else you would put on the shelf.

• Vilma
    Vilma

Love this idea.

Could this be hung on wall?

• Drucifer Green
      Drucifer Green

I highly doubt that... Im sure even sitting in the floor you would have to be careful where placed it or what you sit on it. But nice idea use for hula hoops.

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

Works best sitting and it’s stable and strong.. hanging works but you need to use not as wide board

• Heje
      Heje

I bet that shelf brackets would give the support needed.

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

Yes for sure

• Shirl tilton
    Shirl tilton

Wow! Im so impressed! Looks amazing! I bet it would be beautiful hanging up too. What on earth gave you this idea. You have a busy adventurous mind. Just Wow! You did good! It is truly beautiful!

• Jewell
      Jewell

I totally agree!

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

Thank you so much!! And to be truthful I tried to hang it on the wall it would be a little too wide and it wants to pull away! Best for the Counter!! 😊 or plant shelf

• Michele Morgan
    Michele Morgan

That looks awesome! You must have a big countertop to fit that on it! My only counter space I have is literally less than4" deep and about maybe 20" tops! But possibly less than that. I'm in an RV. Any ideas on making storage on my counter space for make-up? I'm using a little sorter now but I need more space. I was thinking maybe something like this only with narrow shelves as well as more shelves to put stuff on. What do u think?

• Autumn
      Autumn

Pinterest rv makeover or something like that. Just do a search on Pinterest!

• Foghat
      Foghat

there are lots of ideas on rv groups on facebook rv gadgets is one

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

You could leave the back hoop off and mount the shelves to the wall add the front for looks 😊

• Linda Gail Cross
      Linda Gail Cross

I bought a make up case on Amazon that is fairly large and has lots of compartments in it and stored mine under the bed and just took out what I needed and put it in a small make up bag I could put in the bathroom cabinet, if you have one. I kept the basics in the small zip bag. Look on Amazon, they are cheaper than Walmart and I'm sure you will find the right size and some are very sturdy and will hold up to traveling.

• JoAnn
      JoAnn

I have taken barn wood and attached it to the wall. There are a variety of options, but I attached several sized mason jars to the wood. From there I filled the jars with my daily stuff.

• Stevie Johnson
      Stevie Johnson

I say go for it:) Wondering if embroidery hoops could be used to get your smaller sizes? And i know there is a section of lumber in Lowe's -it is NOT lath-, it is thinner than lumber usually is, but still rigid that & would make the smaller shelves more in proportion to your little shelf. Located near the regular boards against the back wall in my local Lowe's.

• Michele Morgan
      Michele Morgan

That sounds great. I can use embroidery hoops to make a few small ones with that and use command strips or hooks to scatter them on the two empty walls in my rv bathroom. I can use them for my perfumes and hair accessories and some of the make-up I use regularly. Thank u 4 the idea!

• Stevie Johnson
      Stevie Johnson

You're welcome:)

• Tricia
    Tricia

Why wouldn't you leave part of the wheel? Now, it's just basically a circle frame. I would have left the bottom half the wagon wheel, and only one shelf running across the middle.

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

Great you do that 😊 this was a hula hoop for a $1

• Donna
      Donna

What wheel? Shelly you made an amazing Floor Display shelving unit. !!! GREAT!!!

• Kristine McIntyre
      Kristine McIntyre

It's not a wagon wheel. It 2 dollar store hola hoops. But a wagon wheel would look just as cute.

• Suzanne
    Suzanne

You’re in Gilbert ???

• Kim
    Kim

Would you say it's sturdy enough to hang on the wall?

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

Yes use brackets to support the middle

• Kim
      Kim

Thank you so much. I am repainting my bathroom and this would be adorable on the wall!

• Leslie
    Leslie

Shelley this is truly an inspired build. Thank you for sharing your process :)

My question is how sturdy are the hoops once you drilled into them and have you tested how much the whole thing will hold? I am wondering if 4 dowels placed at the corners in between each shelf would help with the structure or attach 4 dowels as you did the bottom ones under the ends of each shelf.

• Cris
      Cris

You are absolutely RIGHT ❣ this is definitely one of those creative gears spitting out all kinds of ideas then with your question and suggestions it completely added all kinds of great ideas lol my only hindrance is finding the way to make my idea come to fruition based and your creativities and willingness to take to time to share 💝 thank you. Hopefully, I will be able to share a picture of my end result as well 😊

• Az
    Az

Did you attached the dowels by also screwing them to the hoops

• Hartgirl
    Hartgirl

I love this idea, I’m just unsure of how those plastic hula hoops sustain the weight of those shelves and then anything put on the shelves, overtime? Is there something I’m missing?

• Kim
    Kim

I'm thinking of big hula hoops I had as a kid, and can't imagine it fitting on a bathroom vanity??

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

They come in different sizes but it’s large but then again so in my space

• G
      G

They used 24 inch ones which are smaller than those big ones we used as a kid.🙂

• Brett Langlois
    Brett Langlois

Are you single?

• Daisy
    Daisy

Came out nice only problem I see these hula hoops are super flimsy and not not hold together well, is another piece missing to make them sturdy for the weight of the wood?

• Melody Boling Medlock
    Melody Boling Medlock

I originally seen this project on White Sparrow Living YouTube channel. Theirs was sturdier and able to be hung on a wall. They look a lot better when you remove the foil paper from them before painting as well. If any other crafters like to see high end Dollar Tree projects you should check them out. This is a good idea for free standing shelves though. Others have done this here on Hometalk as well.

• Mary McDonald
      Mary McDonald

That may be but we are respectfully on Shelly’s post now and I think it’s super cute and would look great somewhere in my living room!

• Taylor @ TayRose Design
    Taylor @ TayRose Design

Not much room on most vanity countertops, but I can see it hung on wall over toilet maybe. Great reuse of hula hoop!