Asked on Mar 24, 2019

How do I remove mold from a basement?

Holly Bertone | Pink FortitudeVimarhonorFlipturn
+8

I would like to rehab a house I've had for years. The basement is damp with some mold. The mold is mostly on one wall. Does anyone have any inexpensive suggests for beginning this project. Many thanks.

• Terra
    Terra

We found mold in our shop when we moved in so I bought and used this stuff from amazon: https://amzn.to/2Wrhg31 It works good.

• Shelli Kisch Haipek
    Shelli Kisch Haipek

A good mold removing product, a dehumidifier and finding the cause of the moisture/mold. Paint with Drylock once complete.

• Mogie
    Mogie

But the mold will come back unless the dampness in the basement is fixed. Do you know where this is coming from? If it isn't something that can be remedied you might consider a dehumidifier for a more long term solution. Amazing how much moisture those machines can pull out of the air.

• Carla L.
    Carla L.

I haven't determined the source but I will be purchasing a dehumidifier. Many thanks.

• Oliva
    Oliva

If the problem is only on one wall, it could be due to inadequate drainage, outside (downspouts discharge water too close to foundation; yard slopes towards house; plants and mulch too close against house; etc), or inadequate air circulation on that wall (boxes/cabinets, etc. stored against wall, laundry hung too close to this wall).

Improve circulation and drainage issues if needed. Run a dehumidifier set no higher than 40%, with a discharge hose extended to a floor drain. Keep all doors and windows closed when running dehumidifier.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Agree with everyone who has said that the place to start is to first find out what has caused the mold and to stop it from continuing.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello I HAD some mold growing on painted drywall in my garage. I believe I had too much storage leaning against the wall also causing poor air circulation in addition to the humidity problem that might exist. Driving a wet car after rain exposure into the garage and parking it there —can’t be helping the situation.

Rearranging the storage and cleaning the walls has for now eliminated the problem. I used bathroom spray cleaners to get the mold off the white drywall. Either the Oxi or the bleach bathroom spray preparations worked for me. Just be careful IF using the bathroom bleach shower spray ——>if you have carpet her fabrics around that could be harmed by the bleach. From living in other residences sometimes basements do you require dehumidifiers to help strip the moisture from the air. Function pretty effectively as this could be an option for your basement situation.

• Hi Carla - There are several ways to get rid of mold, but most importantly, you need to address the root cause to keep it from returning. This article focuses on the bathroom, but is an overall great article that covers methods of how to remove mold, if bleach is safe to use, and how to prevent it from coming back. Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

https://pinkfortitude.com/mold-in-the-shower/