How To Make a Miniature Water Feature

$10

Can you believe it. Spring has finally sprung and what better way to celebrate the promise of new growth and sunny days than making this teeny little fairy water feature complete with "running" water.

And the best thing about it is you don't need any special tools either. Just a craft knife, some balsa wood, paint, gesso, a tube bead and this Ahhh-mazing stuff.....

....... 2-minute resin and a UV light. Where has this stuff been all my life. Not only does it cure in 2-minutes under a UV light or 10 minutes in sunlight, it's also comes pre-mixed, so you don't have to worry about getting the ratios right. Best invention EVER.

Okay so the first thing we need to do is create a trough from the balsa wood. You'll need to cut the following pieces using your craft knife:

• 1 x base – 4”x 2 ¼” (10 cm x 5.5 cm)
  • 2 x long sides – 4” x 1 1/8” (10 cm x 3 cm)
  • 2 x short sides – 2 5/8” x 1 1/8” (6.5 cm x 3 cm)

Glue the pieces together to form a rectangular shaped "box"

Add a small balsa wood platform to the trough for the water spout to rest on.

You should end up with something like this.

To make the water spout I just glued thin strips of balsa wood together to form a little "tower" and made a small hole for the little tube bead (the spout bit).

Glue the tower to the trough and paint with acrylic paints. I used black, white and a tiny bit of brown to mimic concrete. ( You can get the step-by-step instructions on how it's been painted here). If your water feature is going outside, seal it with exterior varnish. Now for the fun bit; adding the "running" water

Cut a piece of thin wire and dip it into the 2-minute resin. Let the resin run down the wire and use the UV light to cure.

Glue the “running” water to the tube bead and then glue the tube bead to the tower you made earlier. 

All that's left to do is fill the trough up with some more resin.

And the teeny, tiny water feature is ready for your fairy garden.

I would love to know what you think. Is it something you would try make for your fairy garden?

Pssst..... We have a whole bunch of other fairy garden ideas over on our blog if you're looking for more inspiration. You can find them all here.

Michelle Leslie

• SANDY FRIEDWALD

Where can I get the two minute epoxy premixed. Thanks

• Jameece

Cute project. But I expected to have actual running water. Perhaps quotation marks around the words "running water" so people know it is mimicked water?

• Patti Nicholas

Would love to find a pump small enough to fit in a Fountain only 4” long total. The “pump tower” isn’t even 2” wide so really were are you getting a pump that size?

• Sandra Smith

Okay. I've got a problem. I clicked on the product at the bottom of your post, and it was for something other than the UV RESIN item that you used for this project! Now what? It's a quik cure epoxy---2 part????? This is what I bought?????