My Sweet Cottage
My Sweet Cottage
  • Seattle, WA

Elevated Tulips For Easter and Beyond

$6

It's not always about what you have. Sometimes it's about how you display it. And just like a cake looks so much more impressive on an elevated stand, common garden-variety plants or flowers look more important when they are placed in elevated containers.

So in this post, I am sharing the simple way that I used a thrift store cake stand to take a $1.69 bunch of grocery store tulips to new heights.

elevated tulips for easter and beyond

The Goal

For this project, the goal was to take a that small bunch of cut tulips and make them look like they were growing out of a moss-covered chunk of earth. This chunk of earth would be elevated on the stand to contrast natural materials with polished elegance.

The Materials

I used five tulips, some sheet moss (my favorite go-to for floral and decor projects), a little reindeer moss, a shallow water-tight saucer (in this case, a plastic faux clay saucer), spike flower frogs, my thrift store silver cake stand, and some Tillandsia Usneoides (aka live Spanish moss).

The Method

It was easy. I cut the sheet moss to size to wrap it over the top of, and around the sides of, the shallow saucer. I tucked the ends of the sheet moss underneath the saucer.

I cut a large hole in the middle of the sheet moss so that I could place flower frogs inside the saucer. 

And then I cut the tulips to the desired height and secured them onto the flower frogs, spacing them somewhat evenly.

I placed the saucer on the cake stand and filled it with water for the tulips.

elevated tulips for easter and beyond

Then, using reindeer moss, I covered the hole I’d cut in the sheet moss. This was to conceal the flower frogs.

At that point, it looked a little like a “tulip cake,” if there is such a thing. I thought it was kind of cute, and I was tempted to leave it at that.

elevated tulips for easter and beyond

But I went ahead and added the outer ring of Tillandsia Usneoides (aka live Spanish moss).

elevated tulips for easter and beyond

I can simply replace these tulips with new ones once they get tired – or try a different type of flower or even a combination.

elevated tulips for easter and beyond

For more information on the materials I used here, check out this blog post. Interested in learning more about vintage flower frogs? Check out my post Flower Frogs 101.

Because I already had everything on hand for this project except for the tulips ($1.69) and the thrift store cake stand ($4.00), am estimating this project at $6. Your cost will vary depending on what you already have on hand.

I would advise keeping this arrangement out of reach of pets and children.

My Sweet Cottage

• Toby Click

You may actually want to cut your tulips a bit shorter than the desired height. Tulips continue to grow even after they are cut. This may allow them more time before they appear "tired". You may also take a "tired" tulip, re-cut the stem and see if it will perk back up. Beautiful idea!

• Joy martin

This is beautiful 💞