Flawless Chaos
Flawless Chaos
  • Flower Mound, TX

Slate Patio Upgrade

$200

When we first moved into our house, I had stained my concrete back patio and over the years is did not hold up all that well. In high traffic areas the color had worn off and the concrete had mildew stains. After a little research, I decided on adding slate tile to the patio - very affordable @ 53 cents a tile and we already had a wet saw and all the tiling tools (trowels/sponge/spacers).

You can calculate all your materials quanities needed online before you even go to the store - this will save time and the hassle of trying to find someone to help you.

Schluter Edge installed
Schluter Edge installed

The schluter edge has spaces to install with the mortar. You don't want a lot of extra mortar poking through the edges, just a quarter inch or so to make sure it's solidly attached to the concrete floor.

For the mortar, I used FlexBond, which allows for the Slate to expand during drops/raises in temperatures. This was a little more expensive but well worth it at $30 bag versus $20. I used two bags

slate patio upgrade

Now that you are ready to lay your tile. Mix the mortar to the manufacturer's instructions. I used a trowel with a small and wide toothed edge, my preference because it gives you two options to get the needed grooves in your mortar. These grooves are important for getting the mortar even and will make your tiles last longer. Also, remember to add spacers to every side as you go - this will make your tiles exactly the same width apart. Slate tiles vary in thickness, so you will need to add additional mortar below the tiles that are thinner and less for the really thick ones.

slate patio upgrade

On the edges, you will need to measure and then cut your tile to fit the opening. We started in the most high traffic side and moved towards the house. We wanted the cut edges to be up against the house. After you have installed all the tiles, you will want to wait at least 24 hours to grout.

slate patio upgrade

When you go to grout, make sure you are ready with a clean bucket of water and sponge, as well as your grout (premixed or mixed to the manufacturers specs). I chose a medium grey color for grout.

Work in small sections so the grout is easy to remove and don't mix too much grout, because it will dry out if you work slow. I used a small putty knife to apply the grout, pushing it into all the spaces....doing about 9 tiles before I washed it off.

slate patio upgrade

To remove the excess grout, squeeze out most of the water in the sponge and lightly rub the entire surface. Rinse sponge and repeat, leaving less and less water in the sponge.

I waited about 24 hours after grouting to clean the tiles really well...using my little steam cleaner.

slate patio upgrade

Finished patio!

slate patio upgrade

Visit my website for more pics and project details! www.flawlesschaos.com

Flawless Chaos

• Michelle Frost

DId you do anything to prep the concrete below the tiles? Also I live in southwest Michigan where our winters and summers can sometimes become extreme. Will the slate tiles hold for our temps? Can’t wait to try your idea!

• Heje

Was your base concrete level? If not. Did the flexbond help by doing less or more bond to get it to level out? I have an uneven surface with cracks - some being wider and higher than the others.

• Michelle Frost

SO inspired by this look! We also moved into an older home where the porch had been painted. The weather we have has taken its toll and the paint doesn’t last. Looking forward to doing this for a very “finished” look!

• Tina jones

I love this look. I did my backsplash in my kitchen when I remodeled with this same slate. Even the tiler said he had never done it before and it came out gorgeous. He now tells everyone and uses my kitchen for examples.

• Flawless Chaos

Thanks Tina! These slate tiles are the best 53 cent tiles of all time...totally agree!

Would love to see your kitchen !