David D. Bostick
David D. Bostick
  • New Orleans, LA

How to Make Your Own Curtains (Without Any Sewing)

$10

When I moved into my new place, I had almost no money left to decorate as I was waiting for my next paycheck. The previous tenant had taken the curtains with her, which meant I had nothing to cover my windows at night. After a week or so of struggling to sleep, I decided I needed to do something about it!

I did a little research online and found I could make my own curtains from some spare fabric I had, without doing any sewing! It was a straight forward but highly effective method which I felt was definitely worth sharing. So here’s what it did:

how to make your own curtains without any sewing

Step 1: Choose and Cut the Fabric

For me, this step of the process was really quite easy, as I didn’t have much choice. I had a bunch of fabric pieces that my mom had given to me and I only found one that was big enough for the dimensions of my window.

To make the curtain shapes, I simply folded the large piece of fabric in half and cut it straight down the middle.

I also decided to use a piece of net fabric to go in the middle of the curtains, to make it look a little fancier!

Step 2: Fold The Edges

Once you have two pieces of fabric that are the general shape you need them to be, you can then fold and straighten the edges to make them look more uniform. Then, once you’ve made the folds, iron them in in order to make them crisp and flat.

Step 3: Hem the EdgesStep

In order to hem my newly ironed creases, I used inexpensive hemming tape that I bought from a craft shop. I simply laid the tape inside the folds that I’d made early and ironed over it once again to seal the tape. For the top of the curtain, I made slightly bigger folds and hemmed the fabric lower down to create a gap which I could use to hang the curtains.

4: Hang the Curtains

As I was on a budget, I used a tension rod to hang the curtains, as I didn’t have the funds to invest in a curtain rod or clips. I simply slid the tension rod into the gap I had made at the top of the curtain and adjusted it to fit the window frame tightly.

All in all, the process took me about 1.5 hours to complete and the only real expense was the $5 I spent on the hemming tape. If you’re on a budget like me, or you just feel like getting a bit crafty, making your own curtains is both fun and useful. Enjoy!

To see more: https://www.visionbedding.com/blog/15-things-need-to-know-before-buying-window-curtains

• Tokopah

If you already have blinds (The photo shows blinds.) why do you need curtains also? I have only blinds on nearly all my windows.

• Donna

I used a new teal bath towel folded over and scrunched over the tension rod for my bathroom. The windows are covered with a lace like film. It just needed something up top.

• Karen Marie

Will the tape lose its stickiness after the curtains are washed?

• Deanna

I think she should’ve iron the fabric first, they would look and hang better.