How to DIY: Stencil Paint a Ceramic Tile Floor the Cheap and Easy Way

$75
2 Weeks

I know, who needs another lesson on how to stencil paint a ceramic tile floor? This one is different though. It’s cheaper, it’s easier. And you get great results. Check it out!

how to diy stencil paint a ceramic tile floor the cheap and easy way

Our hall bathroom floor is a disaster. I have never seen such a poor tiling job in my life. Everything was wrong with it, on top of the color(s) just not working for me.

Rather than rip it out I opted to stencil paint it.

There are a few steps to this and a lot to be aware of so be sure to swing by my blog and read what I learned about painting a tile floor by clicking here.

The main lesson I can share with you is that you don't have to buy the fancy specialty paints. You can do this whole project inexpensively with regular paints.

Tip 1: Buy your stencil and have it sized exactly to the tiles you're painting. Then plan your color layout.

Pick up a bonding adhesion primer that's meant for ceramic tile.

After cleaning the floor and grout (skip the vinegar on the grout!), prime with 2-3 coats then base coat the floor in the background color of your choice using latex paint, 2-3 coats there too.

Trust me, painting is like a sandwich cookie; you need a good top and bottom and everything between is fluff.

So use latex paint, craft paint -- it's cheap and it works!

Now it's time to stencil! Yes, I realized here that I bought the wrong stencil for my offset tiles but I figured it'd still be ok. If you have OCD, best avoid the rest of the photos, heh. Noooo, it's fine.

Use cosmetic wedges to dab on the paint. They're soft, pliable, cut-able, easy to use especially for a beginner, and they help regulate the amount of paint used, cutting down on leaks.

Then just keeeeep going, this a long long long process that takes a lot of time and plenty of patience, especially if you have a shedding pet....oh the fur. The fur.

When you're done, seal up the floor with water-based polyurethane, at least five coats. I stopped at five as the dog fur was making me insane.

Be sure to swing by my blog, Flipping the Flip, for more details about this project and a slew more!

And there we have it folks, a painted stencil floor, cheap and easy!

Click the link below to read more about this project!

Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Carol

Could one do this on a tile shower floor?

• Jewellmartin

I have painted cheap showers at our church camp, using a variety of leftover white paint, interior, exterior, primer, oil, latex, etc. I can honestly say that it made no difference. None of the painted showers lasted more than one summer. But if you have a ceramic til shower, there are Rustoleum 2X paints for ceramic tile, and other brands, too, that should do a better job with proper application. Best wishes on your project!

• Jan Crane

I have 2 large wooden candle sticks that are painted a dark brown color. I would like to distress these using an antique white color. What is your best process to do this?

• Becky at Flipping the Flip

You could try lightly sanding off areas of the brown paint and using a dry brush technique, brush on an antique white. Or you could skip the sanding and just do a dry brushing.

• Peggy M

Could you use this on a tile backsplash in the kitchen? I have an awful brownish yellow tile that was put on in1978. I would love to cover it.