Grab a Shower Curtain for This Gorgeous Table Flip!

$25

I had an old table that needed a little love - it needed a coat of paint, but I decided not to stop there! Check out the video for more how-to's!

Here's my sad little entry table before I got started. Desperately in need of some love, right?

Start by sanding your table. I wanted to paint and add fabric, so it was important that my furniture was well prepped.

Next, wipe off the dust. You're going to need a nice clean surface for your paint and your fabric so make sure to clean thoroughly.

After that, cover your surface, grab some chalk paint & begin painting.

I love chalk paint because it goes on easy and it's very forgiving, especially when you're going for a distressed look like I was.

Next, grab some sandpaper and sand to distress & bring out the details of the table. This is optional of course, but it does create a really great, classic look on your old furniture.

After that, grab some fabric! I decided to use a fabric shower curtain I already had for this makeover. This was just too pretty to hide in the bathroom, right?

Roughly cut the fabric to size.

Then, grab some hard coat Mod Podge and pour it into a roller tray.

Next, apply a coat to the top of the table. You could use regular Mod Podge for this step as well.

Please note that depending on how thick your fabric is you may have to be careful of the color of the top bleeding into it - i wasn’t super careful while painting on the gray because my fabric was thicker but you may have to add a coat of white for the tabletop under the fabric if your fabric is thinner!

Then, apply your fabric to the top of the table and trim it to fit.

Once it's down, spread your Mod Podge on top of the fabric, too -- be sure to focus on the edges of the fabric to prevent fraying when cutting it to fit.

Repeat this process on any other part of the table you want to cover!

Tilt your scissors a little towards to the tabletop to cut the fabric close to the edge, but be careful not to catch the table edge.

Allow your piece to dry well overnight.

In the morning, grab a craft knife and fabric scissors to cut the fabric as close to the edge as you can get.

I chose to cover just that top layer, so I cut the fabric right against the edge of the tabletop. I wasn't very nervous about scratching the furniture (because the look I was going for was distressed anyway), but you could choose to be very careful and precise and use scissors instead of a craft knife.

Then, add another coat or two of the Hard Coat Mod Podge to seal it letting it dry in between coats - you can also use a polyacrylic, but Hard Coat Mod Podge will work the same way.

Before the table was plain and the paint was old...

Now, it’s a fun whimsical focal point to my space!

I hope this inspires you to add a whimsical touch to your home using fabric!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Dixie Mock

Gave my granddaughter my mothers foot stool, and she covered it.

Now wonder if she'll seal it??

• Az

I have an old dresser that I want to cover the top. Would mig Podge work on a heavy plastic tablecloth or would glue work better And if so which type of glue should I use

• Pamela Mulkey

There was a tutorial on Hometalk the other day where a lady used a heavy vinyl tablecloth and Mod Podge to decoupage the top of her dining table, and it was GORGEOUS!!! She removed the flannel backing from it prior to applying it to the tabletop. Search decoupage vinyl tablecloth, I bet it’ll come up.

• Sally

I'm trying to figure out how to gain storage above my washer and dryer(Maytag front loaders) that measure 39"H x 29"D. At this time, they are the elephant in the room with an empty, inaccessible wall above, due to their depth. Any ideas ?

• Geetaanjali

Amazing idea.. just one suggestion.. to prepare a paper stencil of the table top and cut the material before the start of the project. Other than that loved the final look! 👍🏼

• Rose Farmer

awesome