Abbie M
Abbie M
  • Hometalk Team
  • Brooklyn, NY

Grab a Shower Curtain for This Gorgeous Table Flip!

$25

I had an old table that needed a little love - it needed a coat of paint, but I decided not to stop there! Check out the video for more how-to's!

fabric table flip

Here's my sad little entry table before I got started. Desperately in need of some love, right?

fabric table flip

Start by sanding your table. I wanted to paint and add fabric, so it was important that my furniture was well prepped.

fabric table flip

Next, wipe off the dust. You're going to need a nice clean surface for your paint and your fabric so make sure to clean thoroughly.

fabric table flip

After that, cover your surface, grab some chalk paint & begin painting.

fabric table flip

I love chalk paint because it goes on easy and it's very forgiving, especially when you're going for a distressed look like I was.

fabric table flip

Next, grab some sandpaper and sand to distress & bring out the details of the table. This is optional of course, but it does create a really great, classic look on your old furniture.

fabric table flip

After that, grab some fabric! I decided to use a fabric shower curtain I already had for this makeover. This was just too pretty to hide in the bathroom, right?

Roughly cut the fabric to size.

fabric table flip

Then, grab some hard coat Mod Podge and pour it into a roller tray.

fabric table flip

Next, apply a coat to the top of the table. You could use regular Mod Podge for this step as well.

fabric table flip

Please note that depending on how thick your fabric is you may have to be careful of the color of the top bleeding into it - i wasn’t super careful while painting on the gray because my fabric was thicker but you may have to add a coat of white for the tabletop under the fabric if your fabric is thinner!

fabric table flip

Then, apply your fabric to the top of the table and trim it to fit.

Once it's down, spread your Mod Podge on top of the fabric, too -- be sure to focus on the edges of the fabric to prevent fraying when cutting it to fit.

fabric table flip

Repeat this process on any other part of the table you want to cover!

fabric table flip

Tilt your scissors a little towards to the tabletop to cut the fabric close to the edge, but be careful not to catch the table edge.

Allow your piece to dry well overnight.

fabric table flip

In the morning, grab a craft knife and fabric scissors to cut the fabric as close to the edge as you can get.

fabric table flip

I chose to cover just that top layer, so I cut the fabric right against the edge of the tabletop. I wasn't very nervous about scratching the furniture (because the look I was going for was distressed anyway), but you could choose to be very careful and precise and use scissors instead of a craft knife.

Then, add another coat or two of the Hard Coat Mod Podge to seal it letting it dry in between coats - you can also use a polyacrylic, but Hard Coat Mod Podge will work the same way.

Before the table was plain and the paint was old...

Now, it’s a fun whimsical focal point to my space!

I hope this inspires you to add a whimsical touch to your home using fabric!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Valerie Woods

I had to have some plumbing done in my master bedroom. The walls are ceramic tile. This tile had to be broken behind the toilet. Now I have a hole the size of a soccer ball. What can I use to fix the space? The company didn't fix it.

• Annie U

They actually sell covers for this very reason @ your local hardware store

• Kathi bakker

How are you going to clean it?

• Yvonne Smith Angus

Mod Podge dries hard, especially the hard coat. You can damp clean it or dust it. Doesn't pose a cleaning problem.

• Where's a picture of the finished product?

• Barbara

I"ve done this..it's one of my favorite; I use polyacrylic over the dried fabric...easy to clean with a great finish.

• Vickie Hutchens

Did you use polyacrylic under the fabric or mod podge, then poly on the top? Would this work on a glass table?

• very nice, I will try this with a t table i have thank you