Ruth
Ruth
  • Tutorial Team

Repurposed Laundry Room Cabinets With Country Chic Paints

$25

We put a nice deck on the front porch But it ended up that everybody always used my back door which led directly into the laundry room. It looked terrible when we bought the place I painted the cabinets white and yellow on the walls to make it brighter but always hated it but never had a reason to get down and do something about it.

Old laundry room yuck!
Old laundry room yuck!

The previous owners had put up cabinets on the one wall. All of them are connected they were one big piece maybe they were the layout of the kitchen before they put new cabinets in not sure but I hated it. So with the help of my husband we took down the one big piece of cabinets. They were glued together with the veneer so the only alternative was literally to take a saw saw and cut them apart. But it did damage to the veneer. So some patching would be needed. With the help of my husband I made a different layout of each cabinet and found the studs and we hung them up.

White cabinets moved to the opposite side

I already liked moving them to this wall it made such a difference. I even contemplated leaving them white but I was constantly scrubbing them from grubby hands come through here all the time from garage. A deeper color was in need.

Rough cuts
Rough cuts

i literally used drywall mud to patch and fill large gaps

One corner lost the veneer
One corner lost the veneer

Some areas needed more patching then others. Once it dried I lightly sanded and primed the drywall patched areas.

Ready for paint
Ready for paint

I was fortunate to have received a gift pack from Sarah at Country Chic paint. So of course I wanted to try this product out and I absolutely LOVE this product. Thank you Sarah

Two options
Two options

I tried both colors I received and I really like the blue called Strengh.

First coat
First coat

So far so good, nice coverage.

repurposed laundry room cabinets with country chic paints

I got them painted and felt they needed something more.

My options from country chic was Dunn grass or strength. I chose strength .

I had seen a lot of people using a glaze so when I had purchased this pickling glaze on clearance at Michael’s I wanted to give it a try.

Pickling wash
Pickling wash

I randomly just started taking a cloth and wiping all the doors down with the glaze. I went back over it with a cloth and wiped off excess. Some parts that were heavier than others I took the sanding block to to lighten up the pickling glaze.

Natural stain
Natural stain

I knew that my cabinets were going to get a lot of use so of course again are used a clear finish over the top. This is the natural so I gave it a little more depth than just clear.

Added hardware
Added hardware

I was able to reuse my old hardware. So I saved a little money on those.

Finished project
Finished project

I absolutely love how they turned out, the chalk paint gave it depth and the glaze gave it dimension. I just love it. My neighbor loved it too is going to order the paint and have me help her do her cabinets.

Stunning
Stunning

My laundry room is coming together I love my cabinets I painted the walls a soft gray and I am currently working on my galvanized metal bench seat wall. This will be my next post .

• User

Are the cabinets dark (grayish blue) like the last two photos or lighter blue like the previous photos? I really like the grayish blue look. Could you summarize the steps please, or confirm the following is accurate?

1. clean and prep; fill gaps, sand as needed
    2. paint with "Strength" blue paint (let dry per mfr. instructions)
    3. wipe on pickling glaze with cloth, wiping away excess (let dry per mfr. instructions)
    4. wipe on Minwax Natural with cloth, wiping away excess (let dry per mfr. instructions)

Your project looks fantastic and it's so much better with the cabinets rearranged and above the machines. Great job!

• User

Thank you, Ruth! It does help!  Again, great job!

• Annette

What about a laundry room in the walkout basement?

• Ruth

Again is it a laundry room or a washer and dryer in basement? Either way I can’t imagine cabinetry wouldn’t be a plus as part of laundry area.

• Barbara Derucher

Love what you have done. I have the same layout in my house. Any storage suggestions for a utility sink that does not have legs, but has plumbing under the sink? Where do you put your dirty clothes?

• Ruth

Hi Barbara,

i have a vintage laundry rolling basket that will be placed next to dryer. I agree with Jewellmartin under the sink would be a great idea. Maybe some rolling caster basket

• Jill Dermer

Looks great!

• Sara O'Brien

Looks good, I've used, the mesh self stick drywall tape then added mud, without tape the drywall mud will start to crack and separate, drywall mud and wood don't bond well, I've heard of people using bondo, with wood? What I do is sand piece of wood to get fine wood dust, mix with epoxy glue, to fill in cracks, I also just used wood glue with saw dust, then sand. It looks good, I like the color too!