Painting a Ceramic Tile Floor ~ A Tale of Adventure and Woe

Have some ugly or bland tile flooring in your house but don't have the money or gumption to replace it? Paint is your new best friend! Some elbow grease and a little patience...well, and paint...are all you need for a fresh, new look!
Our front door opens directly into our living room. This little tile entry was just not evoking any warm and fuzzy greetings to me.
Despite the questioning looks I got from my husband...I started out on my journey.
It got a good scrub and I was ready to roll...using painter's tape to mark off my checkerboard pattern.
Oh, remember how I said this was a tale of woe?
Um, yeah...this was my first attempt. Not only did I hate it, my husband said it looked like a circus in the living room.
After much pouting and reconnoitering I went back to square one and redid the whole thing with homemade chalk paint with less in-your-face contrasting colors. Sealed with polyacrylic.
So if at first you don't succeed, don't give up. Have a refreshing adult beverage, pull up your big girl panties and trudge on! Perseverance, my friends.
We both love it now.
To see all the details and find out what I used and how I recovered, check out the full post.

25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
15 Memorial Day Crafts
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Kelly @ The Moon And Me

• Starr

Is this ceramic tile? The title says ceramic, but you said tile in your first sentence.

• Starr

Wow! Looks wonderful, Kelly. How is it holding up? We moved into a house with a white and green ceramic kitchen floor and would love to do this.

• Susan Urmey

Did the polyacryllic hold up with foot traffic?
  • Bob anthony

where do i purchase this paint and primer

• GR

What a brilliant transformation. I hate the tiles in my utility room and have been thinking about painting them for a while now ( I actually refinish furniture for a living so you'd think I would have done it long ago!) My main concern has been that it is such a high traffic area but then so is your entryway and as you say I can always touch them up if needed. Thanks for posting :-)

• Myrna Engle

Yes I love it.