Can I mix hi-gloss and satin paint together?

+7

HI, Can I mix hi-gloss and satin paint together? I have several partially filled cans of paint (same color range) and would like to use them to paint the walls leading to my basement. I'm not concerned about the finish, just want to clean/brighten up the walls.Thanks for your comments,Hattie

• Patsy47 Patsy47 on Mar 27, 2019

yes, as long as they are all the SAME ( latex) and not a mix of oil and latex.....since the finish is not a major concern just mix it all in a large 5 gal bucket and stir the crap out of it and keep stirring as you need to..! 😀 good way to use leftover paint...clean up closets,garage walls and basement areas....super for the environment and no stuff in the landfills..win-win !!

• Hattie Hattie on Mar 27, 2019

Thanks Patsy47,

I kinda thought I could but wanted another opinion!

And I agree with you, I hate to throw away useful things, especially if it is bad for our environment!

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 27, 2019

Hi Hattie: You sure can, but the colour may be weird:) Like Patsy said, they should be in the same family, latex, oil, acrylic, etc. If you have a drill, hardware or home improvement stores sell a paint stirrer that fits onto your drill. They come in different lengths and only cost a couple of bucks. Well worth the price as they do a better job than you can do by hand. Good luck

• Hattie Hattie on Mar 28, 2019

Betsy, I never thought about getting one of those paint stirrers. Great idea!

• William William on Mar 28, 2019

You sure can. I mix a lot of my own custom paint colors. Sheen doesn't matter. Just make sure they're all latex or all oil.

• Susan QC Susan QC on Mar 28, 2019

I have done this many times. One suggestion I have is....if you come up with the perfect color, paint a small piece of scrap wood or poster board with the finished color so you can have it matched at a later date if you need to.

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 28, 2019

By the by, Hattie, if you have paint left over, put it in a container with a tight fitting lid, and before you seal it, put some plastic wrap on the top of the paint itself, touching the paint, like you do with pudding, to keep a skin from forming. Paint a horizontal line on the outside of the container, the same height as the level that the paint is in the can, which shows not only how much paint is in the can but the colour of the paint, too!:) Good luck