Mother Daughter Projects
Mother Daughter Projects
  • Tallahassee, FL

How to DIY a Faux Concrete Finish on Terra Cotta Pots

$7

Here's a Fast DIY from an episode of Workshop Wednesday. You can easily and quickly transform boring terra cotta pots with a little sanding and paint. The technique also works on vintage ceramic pots. Those are readily available at thrift stores and yard sales, but often aren't the 'style' that will fit your decor. With this technique you can transform them to coordinate with your decor.

Read on or check out the video segment which can be found at the 5:24 mark. Sign-up for our email newsletter here.

how to diy a faux concrete finish on terra cotta pots

We are starting with an ordinary terra cotta pot. Before painting, I am going to add some texture to the pot with a Dremel rotary tool. First, I'm going to draw in some guide lines to help me keep the design as balanced as possible. With a pencil, mark the bottom of the pot into four equal parts and then use those marks to draw a straight line from bottom of the pot to the top.

I put a sanding accessory on the Dremel rotary tool to create the texture, as a simple free-hand design. I'm using the rotary tool on a low speed so that I can maintain more control of the tool. Be sure to wear safety gear when operating this tool as sanding on terra cotta will produce a lot of fine dust.

You can choose whatever design you want. I'm filling the sides with a series of columns of three and two sanded marks. They do not have to be perfect. You're wanting an aged, weathered look and that is best achieved with imperfection!

The secret of this project is using this new Chalky Gesso by DecoArt. Artists use this as a primer for canvas, but I've found it worked great as a primer for projects like this. I'll be using this for the base coat as well as the final coat.

Once the base or primer coat is dry, paint on a coat of DecoArt satin enamel in Charcoal Grey. (You could use any color based on the look you want), but since this is a concrete like finish, grey was a must. Let that dry and then add a thin layer of the gesso on top of that.

Once the top layer of gesso is dry, it's time to lightly sand. I'm using 320 grit sandpaper. When sanded, the texture is revealed and really pops!

Once finished, I added some foam to the pot (this is styrofoam although floral foam actually works way better) to hold the faux succulent in place.

A little bit of sheet moss added to the top of the pot completes the look. The larger pot is actually a vintage planter, originally yellow, that I finished with the same faux finish minus the sanding. This look is much better for my home decor, and bonus, no plants to water!

For a complete list of the materials we used, please go to our blog post.

Mother Daughter Projects

• Penelope

Would this work on plastic pots?

• Vicki Sutton

I made some lg concrete bowls To make table top fire pits out of however it takes about five coats of paint/primer for it to not soak in so much. I mean the final product is nice But it would be good if it didn’t take so many layers/coats because the last layer is polyurethane so I am asking would this gesso product help seal up the concrete a little bit more so it doesn’t take so much