Making Over Two Free Nightstands From a Neighbor

$20
1 Day

So I did these quick but fun painting projects last year while I was on maternity leave. I was looking for something fun and creative to do while baby was napping, so when my neighbor posted in our neighborhood group that he was giving away these two nightstands for free, I thought, why not?

I usually don't paint with bright colors (most of my house is neutrals), so I also thought this would be a fun change. I decided on black for one and light gray for the other with bright teal and bright purple as the accent colors.

making over two free nightstands from a neighbor

First I removed the hardware and wiped down each piece thoroughly. They were in great shape so I didn't need to do any sanding or degreasing or anything.

I painted the outside of one of them a light color, a really light gray that looks white in some lights. I also paint the face of the drawer the same color. Then I painted the inset area bright purple, marking off the areas where I didn't want the paint to bleed with FrogTape (I hadn't done that in the below pic yet).

Here's the final with the hardware back on!

The other one had the drawer on the top. I painted this one black all over and on the face of the drawer (removing the hardware first).

I then marked off the inset with FrogTape and painted it using bright teal paint.

They turned out great. I knew we didn't need nightstands—so I gave them away on our local barter/sell/trade Facebook group. I hope they made someone happy. :) If you want to see more about this project, you can click the link to the original post by my photo below.

If you like this, definitely check out my project gallery with loads of creative ideas. Also give me a follow on my Facebook page, where I share lots of fun ideas daily.

Brittany @by Brittany Goldwyn

• Peggy

Very cute & clever...but don't you have to rough up or sand a piece of furniture like that? If not, I can attack a shelving unit in my bedroom. It"s the thought of having to prep it for the "paint to stay on it" that keeps me from doing anything. But you didn't on your project. Thanks, Peggy

• Kellyrn42

No

It works great as long as the outside is smooth

• Machetta

Awesome job!

• K

That was very kind of you to give them away when done. I have a few things I plan on renovating /up-cycling, & this gave me another idea.

Thank you for sharing.