Thrifted Unicorn Bookends

$10

Okay, if unicorns aren't your thing...the good news is that you can make this project using ANY of the little trinket goodies from your local thrift store. I just saw these unicorns, and they reminded me so much of a kids room from the 1980s, that I had to have them! Here's one of them. One is sitting up, and one is laying down. Some people on my Instagram said they remember this set and that there is actually a third! Sadness that I didn't get the third...

I used scrap wood for this project, which is always an awesome way to use up scrap wood. I cut four pieces, two for each bookend. I didn't want the unicorn that was sitting up to be taller than the bookend, so I took that in to account when I was making my measurements. After I cut the pieces, I polished them up by hand using some sandpaper.

Then I used wood glue and a finish nailer to attach two pieces together, creating the bookends. If you don't have a finish nailer, you can use wood glue and clamps or something to apply pressure. I just didn't feel like waiting. :)

I then painted the bookends black using acrylic black paint and a small brush. I liked the black because it would be a nice contrast with the white unicorns. I ended up doing two coats of the black, I think. The wood soaked up a lot of the paint because I didn't use a primer or anything.

Then I glued a unicorn on each bookend. Aren't they adorable? They are the perfect reuse for something thrifted—and by making them bookends, they are both functional and beautiful!

These would make the perfect addition to a kids room or nursery. Check out the full post linked below by my picture! And if you like these, definitely check out my daughter's nursery full of DIYs, and the dollhouse bookshelf I made for her! :)

22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
By Brittany Goldwyn