How do I fix a rough looking bathroom wall?

+5

How do I fix a bathroom wow that the lady lived here before made it rough looking what kind of sponge do I use the sponge over where it won’t look so bad

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Mar 28, 2019

Donna...Can it be sanded?

• Amanda Amanda on Mar 28, 2019

Hi Donna. I am thinking maybe the wall is already sponge painted with a few different colors? I would use a paint roller made for textured walls and just repaint it. It will make it look less rough being one color.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on Mar 28, 2019

Do you have a picture?

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Mar 28, 2019

Rough as in texture? Why a sponge?

• Betty Nuovo Betty Nuovo on Mar 28, 2019

By the way you worded your question it sounds like someone told you to take a wet sponge to it to smooth it out. I did this in an upstairs room that had slanted ceilings done this way. I suggest you do NOT sand it! The dust will get everywhere especially your lungs. What I did was take a scraper and scrape off all of the high parts (mine had some spots sticking out over an inch!). Then take a bucket with very warm water- as warm as you can stand it - and dip the sponge in it to make it pretty wet. Rub over and over until it becomes smooth. You will have to change the water frequently. In some places I rubbed too much and got right down to the wallboard - oops, watch out for that. I went through a bunch of sponges because they get ratty from the ridges. I just got cheap sponges and used them until they were too shredded to use any more. It got a lot easier as the ridges got smaller. Make sure to put a dropcloth to catch everything.

This is a long, tedious job. It took me a week of doing this for 3 to 4 hours a day in a 24x22 room. In the end, though, it was smooth and took new paint well. Please let us know what you do and how it comes out. I would be more than happy to coach you through this if you choose to do it this way.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Mar 28, 2019

to make it smooth Skim coat over it then primer then paint here are videos for you https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diyskim+coat+wall

• Unexpected Elegance Unexpected Elegance on Mar 28, 2019

You will probably want to sand it down. It will be messy but the only way to get it smooth again.