Victoria Kirton
Victoria Kirton
  • Wilbraham, MA

You want a fancy French daybed? Well, lets make one!

One of the greatest things about having a crazy imagination and living as the only grown up in a house is being able to do anything I want. It is true. Our house is like a scratch book of an artist who may or may not be just a bit crazy but we love it. One of my obsessions is French daybeds. Who doesn't love them? I have been wanting one for so long but why must they be so expensive? I guess I could save up money and buy myself one...oh you know in about ten years but where is the fun in that? So I decided to make myself one. It all started with my fifty dollars green French bed frame.
headboard upcycle daybed french thrifted
The moment I saw this bed, I knew it had so much potentials. I have been obsessing over these bendable Efex appliques for awhile now and this project was perfect for them. I added the appliques with contact cement and painted the frame in a mix of Chalk Paint® in Old White and Paris Grey. I think I imagined myself waking up every morning with a crown and a glass of champagne? A girl can dream, right? So my little green bed frame became all fancy and turned into this beauty. I think Iggy Azalea was thinking about this bed when she wrote Fancy.
I wish our love story ended there but it didn't. I was told it was a queen size bed frame but in truth, it was a full size. I cried...like real tears. So I am keeping the headboard for my bed because I just love it so much. I decided to turn the foot board into a French daybed. For months now I have been taking an upholstery class with the most amazing teacher. The man can do anything. He said he will help me build anything if I promise him I won't paint any antique furniture. Hmmm...we will see about that. So the two of us started working away. Here is our beauty in every step of her make over. Get ready for lots of pictures.
Ok, I may have cried again when we cut the foot board in half.
This part has so many possibilities...from the shape to size. We decided to keep it smaller than 60 inches to make my life easier when I upholster it.
The construction part done. Next is upholstery.
I chose a gray velvet fabric for its durability and its ability to hide lots of dirty little hand and paw prints.
I got two separate cushions and wrap them with a layer of Dacron batting and sew a cushion cover. Are you ready for the final reveal????
I am in love...like seriously in love. The details make this piece extra special. It is so amazing to have a vision in my head then to make it happen. It truly is the best feeling in the whole wide world. This nine foot tall oil painting seems like it was always meant to be with this daybed, don't you think?
Someone recently asked me what makes a house a home. Isn't a home where we collect things that define us? A place that shows who we are as people and where we have been? Where we surround ourselves with love? A home is a novel that keeps on writing and a story is only as interesting as people who live it. I like to think that our home tells a story that is pretty epic...and when you walk in, you might wonder to yourself...yeah those chicks...they got some interesting stories to tell.

CHALK PAINT (R) by Annie Sloan - Pure...
CHALK PAINT (R) by Annie Sloan - French Linen (Quart - 32oz) –...
Victoria Kirton

• Val14725514

Gorgeous! Do you have any pictures with how you applied the fabric and sewed the cushions? This is truly beautiful.
  • DIana Willingham

Absolutely beautiful, I just love it.
    Question about the painting. Did you paint it, how did you come to get it?
  • Randal

yeah I am also interested in your painting, did you do that, if so it is GREAT!! I did a piece years ago sort of a collage of 30 16X20 canvas' all put together, and it turned out pretty cool as well. Nice work on the daybed also.
  • Cau17335338

WOW! I’m jealous! There are no words it is beautiful! Awesome! Where did you find the oil painting or did you paint it ? Everything is beautiful! I just found what style I love! Now to incorporate it in my home! LOL
  • Rain

How did you get the accent design for the back of the daybed? I only saw it on the footboard on the original piece? It's absolutely amazing!

• Sally-Charles Evans

I love your French day bed too! I also love your wall behind the original bed. Did you paper it with book pages? It, too, is beautiful.
  • Dawn

I can imagine your disappointment when you discovered the footboard didn't fit your bed, but your creative vision turned it into something wonderful. Perfect in front of the 9 ft oil painting. Did you paint the artwork?
  • Ste28789453

Wherever did you find the huge piece of artwork that is shown behind your project?
    • Vona

Look at Society 6! They have oodles of good stuff!
  • Ter28891692

How will weight distribute on this with no feet in the middle?
    • Kathy Farnham Sampson

I made one of these several years ago. I made the base of the seat out of 2 by 4's, 16 inches on center, with 3/4 inch plywood over that. I made sure the headboard parts were well secured to the 2 by 4 frame. It was plenty strong.
    • Ter28891692

Thank you. Wasn’t sure the small feet on headboard after being cut in half was enoug. So incredibly beautifu.
  • MMM

Does the scalloped edge on the front poke your legs?

The original piece was gorgeous as well. Even if not the look you wanted.

• Cheryl

It's not actually cut scallops. They are painted.

• MMM

Are you sure about that? It's a great trompe l'oeil if so!

You can see the base cushions behind the scallops, so I think it may be done with wood in front of the cushions. But I could be wrong.

• Dawn

This is the most beautiful thing I've seen and I'm green with envy! The trim is different though and I didn't see any mention of this. Did you change it?
  • Rhonda

Ok, I love the daybed but where did you get the painting?! I love the whole vignette. You did an amazing job - you should be very proud of yourself.
  • Christine Mangiapane

I am so impressed with what you did on the bed w/the white/gray chalk paint. I have an old bed I might be able to do the same with (maybe). Could you explain how you applied the chalk paint to achieve that gorgeous effect? Did you paint it white and then go over it with gray? PLEASE tell me. I can't wait to try to get the same beautiful finish. Thank you and you did a beautiful job! Christine
  • Leanne Watts

This is beautiful! I'm wondering though... what did you use to get the flower/rope borders?

• Denise Hardy

Hi Leanne Watts - you call these 'appliques for furniture' you can get them on sites like ebay, aliexpress, etsy and vandykes.com - hope this helps
    • Millies_mom47

I'm always looking for a place to get these kinds of appliques for pieces of furniture I've redone, or created. Most of the home building stores here only have small amounts and are limited in styles. So now I know where I can go to find what I want. Thanks.

• Cynthia Kattau Burch

Wowzers! Absolutely stunning! It looks like it was made to go under that painting! I have a question, since you took an upholstery class you have more knowledge than I by leaps and bounds! Why the cut outs on the back prior to upholstery? Thanks! You inspire me!

• Penny Taylor

This is a wonderful piece and a great makeover. Now, where did you get the LARGE painting? Love the daybed with it, like Cynthia said, it looks like they were made to go together.

• Laura Gribble

Why the two open squares in the back piece? Did you add padding in those??

• Barb Charms

Love it!!!! WANT, NO NEED IT!!!!

Where did you find the headboard? I just redid my sons room into my craftroom/office/guestroom and have 2 pieces that are curvy and French like(?) But I think ur daybed is gorgeous and so unique. Great job

• Heje

The details on the bedframe highlighted with the gold brought it to glory. The upholstery looks professional. It all comes together to a great looking piece. Thanks for the inspiration to add to future projects.

• Tracie Clark

This is the coolest thing u have seen on any of the diy sites; and i peruse them at every opportunity. Congrats, beautiful work. Now to find one i can do! Again kudos!!