Heather Olinde
Heather Olinde
  • Saint Francisville, LA

DIY Faux Brick Wall in Laundry Room

$200

Hey y’all! I have been procrastinating on this post for a while now because I’m still not 100% done with the laundry room. But I figured you all have been waiting long enough for this and it’s just time to post whether I’m done or not. Because, if I’m being honest, I really don’t know when this will ever get done. With the opening of the store, life has been crazy busy. So without further ado, here is the DIY faux brick wall in my laundry room. I think this may be my new favorite DIY. Although, I say that after every DIY, don’t I?

diy faux brick wall in laundry room

We purchased the brick panels from Home Depot. They come in 4×8 sheets. The first thing we did, was mark our studs on the wall. Then, we measured out where the stud would fall on the brick panel and marked the spot so we could make sure we were securing them into a stud. Originally, we were going to screw in the panels, but then we decided that using a finish nailer was sufficient enough.

diy faux brick wall in laundry room

You will also need to measure out any outlets, switch plates, or anything else that the panels need to go around. We measured where they would fall on the brick panel, drew them out, and then cut it out with a jig saw.

We started with the full panel butted up to the ceiling, then used the table saw to cut the pieces to fit the bottom. It is less noticeable with the seam at the bottom.

diy faux brick wall in laundry room

When laying out your panels, it’s important to pay attention to the brick pattern and make sure your bricks are lining up. You may be able to see the seams between your panels, but this didn’t bother us. We just applied the spackling a little thicker in those areas.

diy faux brick wall in laundry room

After we got all of the panels up, we started applying the spackling. We used a drywall knife to spread it. Basically, we just put a big glob of it on the wall and started randomly spreading it.

diy faux brick wall in laundry room

We did not apply a top coat after the spackling and it seems to be holding up just fine. If you do this in a high traffic area or any area that will be exposed to a lot of water, you may want to consider a top coat such as matte poly.

diy faux brick wall in laundry room

I absolutely love the character that the DIY faux brick wall adds. We did the same thing in our store and we get so many compliments on it. Unless you look closely, it looks like real brick. Next, I want to do this in my bedroom (but I should probably finish the laundry room first, right). 

If you missed the DIY on the stencil painted floors, you can find that { HERE}.

diy faux brick wall in laundry room

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me or ask them in the comments below. I have a video of the DIY saved in my stories on  Instagram, titled Laundry Reno, that may explain things a little easier.

diy faux brick wall in laundry room

Heather Olinde

• Cathy Magan

Love THIS! WOW!!! I never thought of spackling to use as a whitewash! GREAT IDEA! * It probably feels more realistic since the spackling makes the texture rough & hard after it drys! *

Can you white wash the faux bricks w/ diluted matte white paint if you don't have spackle?( But I know spackle looks, feels, & protects more as the BEST option). THANKS!

• Susan Shea

Yes and I didn’t really water mine down much. I did take the spackle knives and run it over to pull some of the paint off.

• Grandma seen it all

I saw these panels too and wanted to use them on the wall behind the stove and refrigerator. Not sure exactly how though should i take down the cabinets and rehang them? Will cabinets lay flat enough over it? Or should i cut it to fit the cabinets? How did you hang the shelves? I need to put up the microwave too. You make it sound so easy!

• Lisa West

Just cut the panal to fit around every thing. In your kitchen definitely use a top coat that os easy to wipe and clean. Every thing on the stove always splashes on the wall. Sauce/ gravy for spaghetti always seems go do this to me lol.

• Sarge

Love the look of the brick and shiplap walls. Any particular reason for doing both of them rather than continue on with one or the other?

• Dawn

I did something similar to this but instead of using the panel I bought a box of drywall mud and used a sponge! The thicker the mud the more the brick textured! Came out nice and my arms got a good workout. This is beautifully done.

• Julie

I would love to see a picture of how your wall turned out using the mud and sponge. Thank

• Vintage Street Designs

WOW...fabulous job! LOVE it!!!