How to clean brass?

+5

We have an old brass chandelier that has a lot of deep pattern. What can we use to make it shine again

• Megan Megan on Mar 28, 2019

Boiled vinegar, with 0000 Steel wool. :) Scrub with steel wool and all the yuck will come right off! You can check out my post on cleaning brass here. :) It will also work for your chandelier and not leave a white film behind like a lot of the polishes tend to do.

https://letspaintfurniture.com/how-to-clean-brass-hardware-naturally/

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Mar 28, 2019

The best thing to do is take it to a brass polishing co. I've tried to do on my own using everything I could find to polish brass. Finally took.it to our polishing co. Looks better than new and they coated it so it wouldn't tarnish so quickly. Mine so far has lasted 18 years.

• Alice Alice on Mar 28, 2019

You have your work cut out for you Ede. Rinse with warm water and dry thoroughly. For tougher cleaning jobs, pull out the ketchup, tomato sauce, or tomato paste. Simply rub a thin coat onto the brass, let sit for an hour or so, and then clean the piece with hot, soapy water. Another option is to make a paste of equal parts salt, flour, and white vinegar.

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Mar 28, 2019

citric acid powder is mixed 2 teaspoons to a quart of water. The exact concentration does not matter too much. A half-ounce in a gallon of water also works. High concentrations are not needed. Citric acid is the active ingredient in home-made brass cleaners that use lemon juice. Same stuff.

To use, pour enough boiling-hot water into a large glass (or non-metal) bowl to cover your dirty brass. Add the citric acid and give it a quick stir with a non-metal spoon. Then dump in your brass, and stir or swirl the container for a couple seconds. You will see the tarnish and dirt being removed almost instantly. Usually takes only a few seconds to a minute or so, and it's done-- there is no need to soak for a long time. The brass will look almost like-new, cleaned inside and out. Rinse the brass with clean hot water, and set aside to dry. You can polish after drying, and brass treated with this solution polishes quickly. To reuse the solution later, just reheat it.

The advantage of citric acid is that it will not penetrate or damage the brass like ammonia-based brass cleaners will, and it works even faster. Also, citric acid passivates the brass, which means that after washing in the hot solution, the brass is actually made more corrosion-resistant. If you store brass for long periods, that's great news. Other ways https://www.house-cleaning-howtos.com/homemade-brass-cleaner.html

• Chaz Chaz on Mar 28, 2019

I have an medium Eagle brass statue with the wings spread out with a lot of grooves on it and I used this Phosphate Free (Wright's Brass Polish) and a fine toothbrush to scrub the grooves & it worked great for me. Just something to try?

• Tere Tere on Mar 29, 2019

Ketchup! Crazy, but it works!

• Oliva Oliva on Mar 29, 2019

Spray with WD 40. Wait 5-10 minutes, then wipe crevices with Q-Tips, wipe remaining areas lightly with Q-Tips or a clean, soft white,100% cotton rag.

• Philipp Philipp on Mar 31, 2019

Try finding a honey strainer. They snap ofer a 5 gal. bucket, they are made of plastic and you will never lose any pins.

I hope this helps.