How To Quick & Easy Decor Transfers For Painted Furniture

$150
Advanced

I've always proclaimed not to be a fan of the floral patterns, but sometimes I have to eat my words. That was before I discovered decor transfers at [re] Design With Prima. If you're looking to add that over the top look on your painted furniture, this may be your thing. I was blown away what a huge difference it made on my 1930's Art Deco Sideboard. Even with all the curves of this piece, it just needed something and I can't wait to show you the after.

So here she is! Sweet and curvy in all the right places, but before I get started there's one step that always gets done before the paint and that's cleaning the wood. Cleaning the wood with White Lightning removes all the grime and things you can't see that can cause your finish to fail and NO ONE wants that! Do it right the first time and always prep.

An ombre effect was painted with three beautiful colors by Dixie Belle Paint Co. Using this neutral palette allowed me to really play with the colors that I chose using the decor transfers. 

Two shades of gray were used to create a blended ombre finish.

The decor transfers I chose popped with COLOR and the neutral background was the perfect choice. Applying the transfer is simple and easy. Remove the sticky back of the transfer and place over the painted furniture and secure with painters tape. With the wooden stick provided, rub gently over the transfer to secure it to the surface.

Gently pull the plastic backing as you rub. If the transfer doesn't stick completely, lay the plastic backing back over the transfer and rub more. You can repeat this process until the transfer adheres. It does take some time but the end results are so worth it! Apply a top coat over the decor transfer to seal it. I used A flat top coat by Dixie Belle because I wanted to keep that old fashioned flat look to my paint.

I hope you enjoyed my first ever floral design makeover. I'm pretty sure you'll see more of these designs from me, because I have been bitten hard by the decor transfers fairy. Want to see more of my designs? Visit my blog! I paint a lot and I'd love to share more.

Until the next project... xo, Do

Donna | Do Dodson Designs

• Diane

Where did you find the transfer?

Really nice

• Keira

Can't find the exact floral transfer deco on Amazon. Can you please put a direct Amazon link here please?

• Keira

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. I'll get back with you in a week or so. Thanks again, you are an angel!

• Joyce Jones Cawley

Do you put wax on before transfer?

• Sherry Mason

No. Always wax last. The transfer won't adhereto the wax. Make sure the transfer is completely adhered before you wax