How To Create An Amazing Faux Shiplap Wall

$150
1 Day
Advanced

Adding a faux shiplap wall to a small wall adds tons of character and it's not as hard as you may think. Well, I guess that depends on how tall the walls are. It's been thirteen years since we moved into our brand spanking new home. Not MY idea! I wanted a fixer-upper, but it didn't take long for me to find ways to make my new have the charm like those dreamy old farmhouses.

Can you see why this space needs help? BORING! Let's get started.

Did you know that 1/4 inch plywood works well to create a faux shiplap wall? I wouldn't have believed it either until I searched Pinterest for inspiration.

I had the DIY Home Store cut the Plywood into 10-inch strips. Most will do this for free or a small charge, but It is so worth it! It will save you lots of time when you're creating a faux shiplap wall.

For this project, I calculated that I would need 5 sheets of the 1/4 inch plywood, but you will need to measure your specific area to determine the amount you will need for your project.

It's always a good idea to get more than you need because you will want to allow for a mistake or two. What's that old carpenter saying? Measure twice, cut once? My brother taught me that when I built my first home. Great advice!

Before applying the plywood strips to the wall, you will need to locate the studs inside the wall. You can use a stud finder, or I just measured 16 inches from the wall and used a small nail and hammer to locate them. Since your going to be covering up the sheet-rock wall, it really doesn't matter if you have a few ugly holes. Before long, you'll have a brand new, old looking faux shiplap wall.

Use a spacer between each board for the best results. I used a quarter, but I think I'll use a nickel on my next faux ship wall. The tutorial I read used wood filler to cover the nail holes, but I prefer it to look old so I just painted over them.

Use a good stain blocker before painting your new faux shiplap wall. The tannin from the wood will bleed through the paint, especially if you're using white paint. Been there, done that.

Follow up with good quality paint. The color of your choice. I'm a fan of white. Of course I will need to add a bit of trim around the edges, but for now I'm pretty happy with it as is. It looks rustic.

And there ya have it. A faux shiplap wall that you can be proud of. I'm proud of myself! Those 10 ft ceilings were a killer! I hope this will inspire you to try something new and make it look old.

Old is the new, new. I think the hubby likes it too. You can find more DIY inspirations over on my blog!

Happy painting!

xo, Do

Donna | Do Dodson Designs

• Dee

YES.... USE A STAIN BLOCKER BEFORE YOU PAINT !!! If you don't your white will have a yellow cast to it 😣😓

• Dee

Love this idea and the savings is awesome! However, I'm the person who would prep and paint before I nailed it on...... Then paint the last coat once it's up! #notagoodpainter #lazybutsmartway 😁