DIY Rope Tray

$30

Want to add a little Coastal / Boho to your decor?

Here’s a super simple way to make your own Rope Tray.

diy rope tray

I’ve always wanted to make my own rope tray after seeing some in the stores.

I would often analyse them and think “I could make that!”

So I went to my local hardware store and browsed the rope and cord department. The prices varied and I was drawn to a creamy cotton sash cord- brand was called “Grunt”😜

It had a beautiful texture and tiny Criss cross stitching so I knew it was a winner!

I bought two rolls 8mm x 15metres at $16 a roll. I could have chosen 6mm or even 5mm because they were a lot cheaper but I wanted the thicker cord because of the type of tray I wanted to make.

I already had a hot glue gun and sticks - not very expensive about $8 for the gun and $2.50 for a pack of 10 sticks.

Firstly I bent the end of the cord around and placed glue on the inside - then squeezed for a few seconds.

diy rope tray

I then kept curling the cord around in a circular pattern adding small amounts of glue. As I went I wiped off any excess glue.

diy rope tray

Once I was happy with the size -around 35cm ,I began to glue the cord on top , creating a type of wall.

Building a wall
Building a wall

When I ran out of rope I just glued the ends together and if a little frayed I would give it a trim before gluing.

I decided to build up to 5 rows of cord before making the handles.

All I did was extend the rope out to as far as I wanted and then glued the section back onto the top - leaving a gap.

I kept gluing around until I created two handles with two rows of cord.

Making the handles.
Making the handles.

When I was finished I tapered in the end by cutting across the cord to thin it out before gluing .

A tip - keep checking you have the same number of rows when it comes time to do the handles. I didn’t use the whole two rolls - depends on how big you want to make your tray.

AFTER
AFTER

Super easy , maybe a little messy but certainly worth it in the end!

Anyone can make this - why not have a go!!!👍

• Joan

Lovely! - I made one of these years ago and plan to make more for gifts.

What are the dimensions of yours?

Also, do you think they're washable (just in case) since they're glued together?

FYI: You can also dye the rope with Ritz Dye or even Kool-Aid AND you can paint them.

• Kris Roth Whritenour

You may also use E6000 glue along with hot glue. Hot glue cools quickly so you would only need to use in spot and use the E6000 glue in between. E6000 can be washed after it is fully cured , stronger and more resistance toward heat and weight.

• Linda

your basket is beautiful!! How does the glue hold up in the long run

• Diane Horn DeMontalvo

The cording is a little costly. Is there anything else anyone can recommend that might cost less. I like the look.

• Viv

Make fabric scraps into a braid.