Pamela
Pamela
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Matawan, NJ

New Kitchen on a Budget

$350

How I updated my kitchen, on a budget and got rid of the outdated 1970's look !

Old , tired and mismatched
Old , tired and mismatched

After buying our first home , we had tons of projects planned , every room needed to be brought out of the 1970's ! The kitchen got pushed to the back of the list , new cabinets and countertops would have to wait.

I thought I could do some quick inexpensive updates to hold me over.

Ugh...
Ugh...

First , I took off all the cabinet doors ***BIG TIP *** number all your doors so you know where they went and put the hardware for each door in its own zip lock bag with the coordinating doors number on it , this will save you tons of time and aggravation later on .

I cleaned the cabinets and doors with 2 products made by Krud Kutter, 1st a de greaser, then a de glosser - this stuff works GREAT !!! It not only cleans , but it gets rid of the

Shiny surfaces from oils , grease and polishes .

new kitchen on a budget

I hated the scalloped edges in the door fronts. I bought a 1/2 sheet of beadboard from Lowe's. I measured the part of the door I wanted to cover , then marked the beadboard . My husband cut it for me , then I glued it to the door fronts using lock tight super glue , then taped it in place while while it dried so it couldn't shift while drying .

new kitchen on a budget

Next step , time to paint !

I used advance paint from Benjamin Moore, it dries and cures like an enamel paint , but brushes and hands wash off with soap and water.

* PLEASE NOTE : brushes and hands wash off fairly easily ONLY if you cleans things right away !!! If you wait a little while ,

You will have to do some heavy duty scrubbing.

new kitchen on a budget

* I DID NOT USE PRIMER !!!

I did 2 coats of paint , letting the 1st coat dry before doing the second coat . The guy at the store said to use a small foam roller, but even though the paint is self leveling, I didn't like the texture and switched to a small brush . Next we put up the doors and hardware . I used the same handles.

It was looking so much better !

new kitchen on a budget

Next step - paint the countertops , yes you can paint them ! I used the Benjamin Moore's advance paint in wrought iron . To prep the counters, I used Krud Kutter, then used a sanding sponge and lightly scuffed the countertops. Then using a damp cloth I wiped off any dust and let the counters dry . For the countertops, I did use a primer , also from Benjamin Moore's. I did one coat of primer and then 2 coats of paint , letting each coat dry before doing the next one . For the countertops, I used the small foam roller. As you can see , I did not remove the sink , I just covered it and carefully taped around it .

This is with one coat if primer
This is with one coat if primer

Here is how it looked after 2 coats of paint .

new kitchen on a budget

Next came the new faucet...

new kitchen on a budget

Hmmm...Now that my cabinets were painted white , it made my beige floor tiles look pink , yuk !

I purchased a textured wood look ( called silver spruce ) peel and stick vinyl floor planks ,at a super low price , off Amazon .

My husband placed it down in the kitchen and entryway.

new kitchen on a budget

At this point , the kitchen was looking so much better , for so little money , about $350 , for paint , primer ,rollers ,cleaning products , new faucet , beadboard , glue , and flooring !

Lowe's was having a sale , 40 % off appliances , so we decided to get rid of the broken dishwasher and mis matched appliances and bought a GE

Refrigerator, double oven /stove and a dishwasher in a slate finish.

* this was not included in the re do cost !

new kitchen on a budget

Another view

new kitchen on a budget

Well , I thought I was done ...

But my husband asked me why I didn't paint the inside of the cabinet doors , they look unfinished ...ugh... I knew I wasn't going to take those doors off again , so I came up with the perfect solution!

I picked up some chalk paint and painted just the inset section of all the inside doors.

Now I have a place to keep lists , menus & appointments.

new kitchen on a budget

I am so happy with my kitchen re do !!!

An update: it has been 2 years since I painted the cabinets and countertops, and they are holding up great ! The surface is easy to clean & they still look great !

What a difference !!!

Old kitchen
Old kitchen

New kitchen

New kitchen
New kitchen

• Sandra Cobin

Yes my Kitchen is dated and I've been trying to get my husband to consider moving. My Floors are Mexican tile, I love them just need to change the cabinets and counter tops. What color do you suggest a grey or white won't work.

• Pamela

Can you post a picture ? What color or colors are the tiles ?

The advance paint by Benjamin Moore comes in every color .

if the tile is a terra cotta color , if you have an extra tile or even a chip from a tile , they might be able to match it , then you could use it as the color for your countertops , and then you should be able to use white for the cabinets or a darker blue , that's a pretty popular color being used on cabinets now , or mix it up blue on lower cabinets and white on top. I would have loved to have just open shelving using reclaimed wood , instead of my upper cabinets , but , in my case it wouldn't have worked , maybe it would with yours !

• O.shag

What a nice update. How long did it take to do the countertop? How long before it can be used? I'd like to paint bathroom counter but it's the only bathroom in the house and it's not feasible to have the sink area out of commission for long.

• O.shag
      31 minutes ago

Thanks again. The spray paint job looks nice but I really like your new sink!

• Joyce

Did you use any kind of top coat on countertops? How well have the countertops held up?

• Pamela

Hi , I didn't use anything over it , I asked at the paint store and they said it wasn't necessary.

It has held up well over the past 2 years , but I am careful , I use a cutting board , and a driver when putting hot items on it . I don't have kids at home ...there are a few tiny scratches , from my husband putting heavy tools on them. But there is plenty of paint left over and can put on another coat in time

• Lisa House

Nicely done, looks fabulous! I am in the slow process of doing similar to my kitchen, I am very envious of your appliances!

• Donna
      11 hours ago

Years ago, we came home from vacation and found that the breaker for the fridge had tripped off. Spoiled juices from meats in the freezer had run out onto the floor. Ugh! Friends told us we would have to get rid of the fridge. I cleaned everything well and set bowls of vinegar in both sides for about a week. No smell at all. We continued to use it for years!

• O.shag
    20 minutes ago

Our garage refrigerator somehow got turned off with a freezer full of meat in the summer! The most disgusting smell and mess ever. I don't know how flies got in there to lay eggs but there were maggots crawling all over (or OMG were they ALREADY in the meat! ) I had to put a mask on and Vicks under my nose and I still kept gagging. I tried everything, scrubbed with vinegar, bleach, sprayed with OdoBan, Lysol. Put bowls of coffee grounds, vinegar, baking soda, charcoal, stuffed newspaper in it. Couldn't get it hauled away so it's sat (closed) over the winter. I'm afraid to open it!