ClutteredCorkBoard
ClutteredCorkBoard
  • Pittsburg, KS

DIY Inexpensive Solar Fountain for the Garden

$30

I have always wanted a fountain for my garden however, the word pricey comes to mind. :0)

I had seen several idea's using solar fountains for hummingbirds, birdbaths, and so on and since

they were inexpensive I decided to try a simple one that doubles as a planter for my own garden.

diy inexpensive solar fountain for the garden

So I picked up 2 inexpensive pots that had optional drainage holes, and I chose different sizes because I wanted to stack them and have it double as a planter as well.

(*I chose to use a 12 inch and 15 inch size)

I used a screwdriver to pop out the optional drain holes on the larger pot as I was going to use it for a planter.

Then I chose to add a larger size rock it in as well to add some weight to it and then simply filled it with potting soil, starter fertilizer, and planted my flowers spaced evenly around the edge.

I placed the top pot in the center then placed the stacked pots in my yard.

I filled the top pot with water and simply added my floating solar fountain that I had purchased.

The solar fountain came with different style tips so I tried a few out before deciding on the one I liked the best.

I also tried it in my bird bath and I really like it there as well.

(photo's on my blog)

However, I will have to add water often as it does tend to spray a lot of the water out. If it were in a larger container it may not have to be filled quite so often. Another note would be it doesn't charge from the sun, it only works when the sun is shining on it. My overall opinion is for the price point it is a neat item to have.

ClutteredCorkBoard

• Lisa

I bought that solar fountain last year. Problem was it kept spraying outside the container and running itself dry. I was constantly filling it. Even tried to secure it so it wouldn't move. Still found a way to spray it out . bigger container? Lol. Nope. That didn't work either. Nice idea. But save your money.

• Tish

I would love to make this for a dear friends birrhday. ❤️👑

• Lyn

I already bought one of those solar fountain inserts. It didn't work, and I've since read that a lot of people couldn't get theirs to work. Any suggestions on where to buy another , better one?

• Rachel

i bought 2 from Amazon last year. hopefully they will still work this year, but they worked just fine; but needs lots of water.

• Carol Cole

Where did u get the solar fountain?

• Terry

I love your planter idea! I can’t wait to get started.I bought one last year from Amazon and Love it! You can also leave off any spray head at all and just let the water trickle out.

• ClutteredCorkBoard

Thanks Terry, such a great tip!

I took off the tip today that I was using to try it without one and it works great! It still has fountain effect and doesn't spray the water so high or out of the container as much as it was before so I won't have to refill my container so frequently.. thanks so much!

• CC

You can fill in some of the holes on the outside so the water sprays only from center and not get the flow out of the pot.