Jami @ An Oregon Cottage
Jami @ An Oregon Cottage
  • Pleasant Hill, OR

A DIY Organic Garden Insect Spray That Works!

I have had problems in my backyard herb garden for a couple of years with some type of insect that devoured basil and marigolds (often the least-touched plants). I had tried a couple other organic pest deterrents with limited success. But this year the bugs were particularly bad and made their way across the path to eat all the growing tips of a trumpet vine. If I was going to get enough basil for our year's worth of pesto and a bloom on the trumpet vine, I needed to take action.
Note: the recipe is located on my blog-
http://anoregoncottage.com/homemade-garlic-mint-garden-insect-spray-really-works/
NEW in 2016: Reader testimonials & FAQ: http://anoregoncottage.com/diy-garlic-mint-garden-insect-spray-testimonials-faqs
garden tips doy organic insect spray, gardening, go green, pest control
One of the things I had tried briefly last year that seemed to work was a homemade garden insect spray made with garlic and mint, a bit of cayenne and soap. So I decided this year to write down a "recipe" and record the before-and-after pictures to share the results. And I'm glad I did - I was blown away by the success of this easy, natural pest deterrent!
This shows how bad the basil had been attacked by the mystery bug (some have suggested earwigs, but I've never seen them), 2 weeks after spraying and then 4 weeks later. Can you believe it?
This is a super healthy basil plant now - even more healthy than my main garden basil that wasn't ever attacked. Seriously amazing.
Here's another before and after for you: the bugs attacked most of the tender new growth of my trumpet vine.
After only 2 sprayings (and a bout of rain after the 1st), the trumpet vine is loaded with new growth and I'm having to prune it back (if you know anything about trumpet vines, you'll know it's back to normal now, ha!).
***NOTE: read more and get the spray recipe on my blog AT THE LINK BELOW - I'm so happy to be able to share this with other gardeners!
AND check out the FAQ for all your questions answered: http://anoregoncottage.com/diy-garlic-mint-garden-insect-spray-testimonials-faqs

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

• Rita

How to rid wood worms? And grasshoppers? Thanks

• LadyJoker

Would this work on Pine Trees - we seem to have these caterpillar like bugs eating away on our Mugo Pine and destroying them?

• Jgr3767007

How do you get the recipe?

• Charlann Kable

Is it safe to use on fruit trees as well?

• Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

I haven't used it on fruit, but it may - I suggest doing your own test of a part of your tree like I did these plants and see if it works.

• Patricia Harris

Hi, on reading the ingredients all sounds very safe. As I make my own detergent even then I am cautious. But the ingredients are not penetrative past the skin of fruit trees. We all wash our fruits anyway as good organic gardners do cause one never knows what could transfer nasties. Thanks Charlann for a fantastic recipe as I have had a few issues with some plants that are normally safe. Love your site. From AUSTRALIA, cheers Patricia.

• Pai4224187

This seems really great for non-edibles, but wouldn't it make your basil taste like garlic and mint? Might make pesto taste kind of gross...?

• Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

I usually spray my basil 1-2x at the beginning of their growth and by the time I harvest weeks later there is no residual flavor at all. Mainly because it's pumping out tons of new growth that's not being eaten. :)

• Dee B

Tried this but the cayenne clogs the sprayer. What type of cayenne did you use?

• Beth Hornbeck

Does this repel Misquitoes as well?

• Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

I've never put that to a test, Beth, so I don't know. I think citronella and tea tree oils do a better job with mosquitos, and I wouldn't put this on people (it's stinky!).

• Belle

grow rosemary and cilantro in pots on your patio to ward off mosquitos. I have a screened gazebo I put up every summer, and I have those plants in the corners and on the table. The screen is open most of the time b/c of watering, meals, back & forth etc. and the plants seem to do the trick! The rosemary is fragrant, and both herbs can be used in your cooking. Nothing like cilantro in Mexican dishes! Cilantro grows fast and will reseed itself in gardens. Keep it clipped back, however, if it shoots off, the result will be coriander seeds which can also be used in cooking. Also the fragrant lemon or rose geranium are said to do well, but I don't have experience with them.

• Kim4132677

Does this spray get rid of all bugs, or just pests

• Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

In my experience in my garden over the years I've used this now, it seems to repel the insects eating the plant long enough for it to recover and then grow healthy. I only use it 2-3 times until they are growing well enough to ward off a few bites. If good bugs are repelled, they don't stay away since I have pollinators all over my garden. Hope that answers your question!

• Billie Lineberry-Hooper

Do you think this would work on Japanesee Beetles?

• Terry

Do you think I could use this on my Rose bushes for Aphids?

• Sharonann Wogan

Can you tell me please if it repels bugs off rose bushes too. You know, the aphids...

• Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

I'm still experimenting with all that it works with, but I did use it for Japanese Beetles on roses last summer and it seemed to repel them - there wasn't nearly as much damage as before. Aphids I tend to just wash off with water, so I haven't tried it specifically for them.

• Missy

Plant merigolds around your roses, no more aphids!

• Cathy C.

What kind of mint did you use? Quite a few plants belong to the mint family.

• Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

I think any strong-smelling mint would work, but I've used both spearmint and peppermint successfully.

• Jaime

Cathy, Mint is mint... If u smell it, and it smells minty, it will work
  • Muriel

Does your basil taste like garlic afterwards?

• Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

It may if I harvested right away, but I use it only a couple times, letting it rebound between and in that time it wears off, since we don't notice any flavor when we do eat it.

• Tyl7753869

Did you use whole garlic or garlic powder? And if you did use whole garlic, did you just smash it then mix it with the mint?

• Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

I used chopped garlic - find all the directions on my site with the recipe!

• Mary

Very neat idea thanks so much. Mary W. Chula Vista,,CA & Idyllwild, C A

• Ohn7261542

If you put everything into the food processor, all the garlic will be chopped up with the mint. So you don't really have to smash it at all. Doesn't really matter.

• Alex Donaghy

What is the exact measurements and recipe for you garden spray?

• Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

Please see the bottom of the post for the url to the recipe.

• Chris

Jami, I have tried to link on and signed up for the daily emails, but have not received a confirmation so I can sign on. I have tried 3 times now. Chris

• Chris

• Theresa

I am having a problem with something eating my Mint!! I couldn't get 3 cups of Mint if I tried. Any suggestions??

• Hap7371038

Something is eating my avocado leaves.can you helo me

• Sue

his would be great if it worked for slugs. has any one noticed if It works on slugs?

• Mary

Can I use Mint Oil instead?

• Nevette Tharp

You didn't specify what kind of mint. I grow spearmint, will that work?

• Barb in Texas

Mints are all related, what works with one should work with another other.

• Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

Yep - thanks Barb. :) The stronger smelling mints works best for this - you can get all your questions answered and see how it's working in others gardens by visiting the FAQ linked in the post!

• Patricia Meyer

What is the recipe?

• Rud9696935

What can I put in my birdseed that won't harm the lovely birds but will get rid of the darned rats with bushy tails otherwise known as squirrels that occasionally visit my birds' feeding area?

• Bijoux

That sounds like a great way to get rid of some pests. Do you have any secrets for snails & slugs. They eat a lot!!

• Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

The classics: beer in a tuna can buried soil level (so they fall into it), diatomaceous earth sprinkled around, natural slug bait like Sluggo.

• Mse1612009

Collect snails in a bucket. Crust them and then spread them around your garden. Guaranteed you won't have anymore snails.

• Mse1612009

If you use diatomaceous earth, make sure it is FOOD GRADE.

• Bijoux

Thank you for pointing that out. I did not know about "food grade". I will look when I go shopping.

• Bijoux

I would have to put out a lot of beer & a lot of containers. I have tried but it was hard keeping up with it. I also get slugs at bottom of pots & they work there way up inside to plants & devistate them! I have used copper wire and it helps a bit with the snail problem, but not the slugs.

• JRS

Use corn meal for slugs, place glass jars or plastic bottles cut in half put a tsp of corn meal in containers place them randomly, around the plants, make sure it is level so they are able to crawl in. First time I did this the next day there were about 1/2 a dozen in each container they were dead. Did this once a week with fresh meal they have not returned. It works.

• Susan wilson

Garlic and mint spray recipe

• Kathy

Why can't you just share the recipe?!!

• Sonia Burrows

Recipe type: Organic Garden Bug Spray Yield: 12 cups Ingredients 2 whole heads garlic, cloves separated and peeled 3 c. mint leaves (and stems, too - I just throw it all in now) 2 tsp. dry cayenne pepper 12 c. water 2 small squirts of biodegradable dishwashing liquid Directions Add the garlic and mint to a food processor and pulse for a few seconds. Transfer mixture to a large pot and add the cayenne and 12c. water. Bring to a boil; remove from heat and let sit overnight. Strain into a couple spray bottles (or gallon garden sprayer) and add the two small squirts of dish soap. To Use: - shake well before each use - this mainly repels bugs, though if they rub against it, it can kill them. - spray all the leaves on affected plants, including the undersides - preferably on a cloudy day so as not to burn the plants. - wait a few days to see the affect and then apply more if needed (many times I’ve only needed to do one application) Notes - This is like a pepper spray, so you can protect your skin and eyes like you would when using any hot peppers, although the potency is less because it only uses dried cayenne. - Wait a few days to harvest after using so there isn't any spicy residuals (I only used 2 applications the whole summer, so there never was any taste to the produce). - The scent keeps bugs away, but I still had ladybugs and bees, maybe because I only used the spray a few times.

• Stillyoung

Bees and ladybugs are obviously good insects and you do not want to kill them. The regular honey bee which produces honey, is endangered but we need it for pollination of crops and all plants - bees don't eat leaves or flowers or vegetable and the lady bugs actually eat aphids on roses. too bad that in my area, we sometimes get hundreds of ladybugs way before any aphid show up on rose bushes.
  • Constance De Witt

Do you have a recipe to stop the birds destroying my succulents?

• Odd4433224

Do you have a systemic recipe to kill the rust fungus that keeps ruining my frangipani??? I'm tired of pulling off the bad leaves, and spraying once a week.. Thanks. Thelma

• Ind6859019

Try neem oil. Mix 1 part neem oil to 9 parts water. Add a squirt of dishwashing detergent. Spray the affected leaves. 1 or 2 applications usually suffice.

• Jonesjacqueline222

My Cannas plants have grown over eight feet tall and were prolific until the worms take over. Please help me!

• Catherine Ayers

iS THERE A WAY TO KEEP THE SQUIRRELS FROM EATING ALL THE PECANS AND SATSUMAS.? I DON'T MIND SHARING IT WITH THEM BUT THEY REMOVE THE PECANS AND CHEW A HOLE IN IT SAME AS ON SATSUMAS. THANKS

• Bri

Did the soap have leave any taste effect on the herbs?
  • Stillyoung

Do you know if cayenne pepper would deter racoons from eating all my bird seed? I end up purchasing many extra large bags of seed as the feeders are emptied out by racoons climbing the poles ( even with wide metal baffles on them , no matter what shape) or just shaking the pole to make the seed fall down. I have resorted to taking down all feeders in the evening at times, but don't always remember.
    • Carol Brown

We have to take in our bird feeders every night. It's the only way raccoons don't destroy & devour all the bird feed & feeders.
    • Stillyoung

Thank you- I will do that from now on, jut have to put up a reminder.
  • Dawn Abraham

What kind of sprayer do you use that doesn't quit spraying and get gunked up right away???? Help!
    • Carrie Bell

If your sprayer is getting clogged try straining the liquid through a fine mesh tea strainer or a coffee filter. It is the bits in the mixture that is stopping up the sprayer.
  • Keena

Would this spray get rid of ants?
    • Janet Braude

A good homemade deterrent to ants, doesn't kill them, but they don't like the smell
      of peppermint oil. They will not come back for a good period of time. Then I spray again.
      I don't have an exact amount of water, In a pint sprayer of water I put in a couple drops of oil. I use it outside on the porch and it really does the job.
  • Jet15263900

Can you please sign me up for your newsletter.
    jethropaulraymergreen@gmail.com
  • T Mercado

You spray it with soap. Would the basil not have a soap taste to it?
    • Jean McCormick

No, because you will have some rain at some point, and you'll wash it, and any residue will be rinsed off by the time you put it on your food.
  • Melissa

Can you spray this on rhubarb without changing the taste
  • Rav10828214

What can I use fore lawn (st.Augustin) for
    Weeds ,bugs
  • Teresita

I have bad weeds issue on my lawn what is the best home remedy. Thank you
  • Charlotte M Wadkins

Your bug and weed spray seems to be something that would deter slugs (salt, etc) which is what is attacking some of my younger flowers and natural flowers I keep in the yard as specimens. But, do you have a SPECIFIC something for them? Maybe a dry thing to put around a plot or bed?

• Marydell oakley

How much of each item in recipe?

• Karen Ramon

Never seen the recipe in post, so this article is not very helpful.

Recipe for spray?

• Deborah Tolson

I couldn’t get the recipe?

i wish you could have put it in the article

• Lo416727052

how to get bettles from roses

• Shirlene

Can I put it on my flowers

• Aimee Elliott

Think it will work on aphids? They are just starting in my hoop house And I don't want them to take up permanent residence.

• Maru

Would it work on most outdoor plants? Even roses?

• Sherry Bowman

Will this spray hurt animals or pets?