Plain Hutch Makeover

$20
2 Weeks

I haven’t posted a project in a while. I have to be in a certain mood to do certain pieces. I have had this hutch in my storage for a few years and just did not know what to do with it. It seems as if everyone is redoing furniture nowadays so I try to make my pieces as unique as possible and designing something can take a while before inspiration hits. I really hate stripping furniture and this piece had 4 sloppy, goopy, nasty paint layers on it. Maybe that is why I kept putting it off...anyhow, I decided to strip it and go from there. After stripping it and staring at it for a while I decided a rustic vibe should work nicely. The piece was in great shape structurally. I wanted to use various stains, teal chalk paint and dark wax. I removed the middle glass and put in a decorative tin piece and added the light fixture and used an Edison bulb which really sets of the piece to me.

Here is the before. I believe the original color was white but I am not sure. There is just so many layers of paint. I used liquid stripper and a heat gun to get it all ready.

This is the stripper I used. After getting everything off I wiped it down with low odor mineral spirits. Let dry and then started sanding.

I used special walnut and espresso wipe on stain. I painted the inside of the hutch top, insides of the drawers and lower cabinet with teal chalk paint.

I used dark wax and a chip brush to create the rustic effect. I sealed with wipe on polyurethane before applying the dark wax. I stained the shelves and back.

I had the pieces from an old lamp so I used it to add a light to the hutch. I love Edison bulbs and I felt it fit the piece.

I stained the whole piece then dry brushed the teal chalk paint and a little metallic copper paint on then sealed with polyurethane. When it was dry I added the dark wax.

I spray painted the handles with turquoise, black and gold paint. I layered the paint, let dry then polyurethanes them. I wiped with a piece of steel wool to create the look.

I stained the drawer fronts in espresso. I used a brush to create the distressing. I dipped my brush in the teal chalk paint, wiped the paint off and flicked the brush to create the effect. Starting where each drawer met, I flicked up and then down . I added the copper paint and dark wax also.

I have to say it really came together better than I hoped. If you would like to see more of my work please visit my profile here on Hometalk or my Facebook page. www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

• Gina Cocco Payton

How did you get the piece of glass out of hutch in order to put the tin piece in?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

I take pieces completely apart when I work on them. Inside doors with glass there is either a rubber stripping around it or 4 separate pieces of wood that hold the glass in. I use a flat screwdriver to Gently pry it out.

• Cindy Smith-Putnam

In several places you mentioned using a finish coat and THEN dark waxing. I have generally done things in the opposite order... wax then finish coat. Can you teach me something about why you chose this method?

• Misty Gaines-Johnson

Wax is the last thing I apply, it’s been my experience thru the years that if you apply poly over wax it will not seal correctly. I always seal then add wax.

• Vivian

How to make my own natural window cleaner

• Lynda

Inspired already I have a bought hand made island in a beautiful distressed teal's, whits little yellow, and dark stains. Your china cabinet looks ok, but I'm afraid mine would look to diy, I'd need more teal ! Nice try !

• Steve C

Well we all have different tastes but do you honestly think that finish looks good. Personally it looks awful to me.