How To Make a Mosaic Garden Pot

$25

I have been collecting old china plates and teacups for years. The best place to find old plates is at a thrift store or flea market. Look for plates that have flowers and patterns on them. Flat china plates are the best to break to use for mosaic projects.

Step 1 :

Break China:

To break the china place them in a plastic bag and put that inside a burlap bag. With a hammer you bang away. Remove the cracked pieces. You can use a tile pliers to break pieces that are still too big.

Step 2:

Design your pattern on the garden pot:

To create mosaic tile patterns pick the pieces that are close to the same size but in different shapes. Epoxy glue all the pieces on the garden pot. Make sure its dried before applying grout.

Step 3:

Applying Grout:

Take 3 cups of grout. Mix 1 cup of water into the grout. The consistency should look like thick mud. Cover the entire pot with the grout filling all the crevices. Let sit for 20 minutes. Take a sponge and take off any excessive grout until it’s all smooth. Clean the tiles until shiny. Let dry overnight. Make sure the garden pot is totally dried before sealing which is the next step.

Step 4:

Sealing:

Let the grout dry for 24 hours. Seal the surface of the tiles and grout with a grout sealer which you can purchase at any hardware store. Use a clean brush to apply the sealer. Let dry for a few hours. Now you can plant.

Simple Nature Decor

• Cindy Rubin

Would this still work if you took the time to put the grout ONLY in between the mosaic pieces? (So the tiles would show better)

• SuzyQ

I think a different colour grout would make the pieces stand out more, like a dove grey.

• Page Bellamy

I agree with there not being enough contrast between the china pieces and the grout. But great first attempt - and what a cheap way to jazz up a plain old pot! Decorative pots are so expensive!!!

• Simple Nature Decor

I wanted a white pot, thats why I used white china pieces. It looks better in person than in photos.

• Simple Nature Decor

You can do it in between I choose to smooth it on all at once and then take it off with a towel. I choose all white china I wanted a white pot.

• Cindy

When I make them, I stick the pieces on first with tile adhesive - kind of like a jigsaw puzzle - use and old butter knife (or pick one up at Goodwill for 10 cents) and just butter the backs. Once that's dry, grout like you would tile and make sure to wipe the grout off the bits frequently (it's a pain to have to go back and scratch them off). I've found that the ugliest dishes (bold colors/patterns) make the prettiest pots. I paint the bottoms and the rims a coordinating color in the bits. My friends LOVE them!

• Alma

i liked your white pot! It is classy.

• Beth

Your way or this way, Ms. Rubin, the tiles aren't going to show any better regardless. After the grout was set, it was wiped completely off the tiles, so they show up in their entirety. I think the fact that the grout was white and most of the tiles are white is confusing you into thinking that grout is over the tiles, but it's not.

• Kym LaFontaine

All depends on the colour of your china. Also you can put the pieces closer together. That way. Less grout needed. Make sure you glue them all on first

• Cindy Rubin

Thank you all!

• Simple Nature Decor

Thanks so much Everyone.

• Diane Horn DeMontalvo

When I do any mosaic work (depending on the look you want), I put my pieces closer together. She wanted a softer white look. I usually want a brighter look. All makes a great finish.