Grab an Old Shutter for This Multi Purpose Kitchen Idea!

$70
1 Day

Next time you're at a flea market grab an old shutter for this gorgeous farmhouse kitchen idea!

Check out the video for more how-to's!

Begin by scraping the shutter of any old paint or dirt.

Next, add a coat of spray paint to both sides.

Then, measure and cut or have your wood cut for you and add a coat of stain if desired.

Next, pre drill and drill the wood pieces into the top, middle and bottom of each shutter on both sides.

After your shell has been built it's time to add the shelves!

Predrill and drill the wood into all four corners of the top, middle, and bottom shelf on the cart.

Next, add four caster wheels to the bottom.

Flip it over & that's it! (:

Add an antique hook for towels, or other decorative elements.

Use the top as extra counter space and fill it up with cook books, pots, pans and cooking utensils!

I hope this inspires you to rescue an old pair of shutters from your local thrift store!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Wendy Short

Awesome job! I'm so inspired! Could you share, more specifically, where the hooks came from?

• Wendy Roithner

In my opinion, you can find hooks in places like Home Depot, Walmart, or even at Flea Markets. That part is up to you. I have some wrought iron hooks I found on a website years ago...if I remember correctly, it was Ebay...they strong, sturdy, definately farm house type decore, and inexpensive. There are many designs to choose from.

• Jewellmartin

Wendy, I have some hooks and a set of shutter doors that this gas inspired me to use. Thanks, Abby! I got one set from Wish.com which were smaller than I expected (dang decimal system!) But they would be perfect for measuring cups. I also look in the very small discount bin at my local Elliott Hardware. I found a cute pair of almost key-shaped hooks there for a couple of dollars. Just keep you eyes peeled for interesting hardware and bits and pieces wherever you go. You may find a treasure.

• Rose

Love it, just wondering the width between the shutters?

• Wendy Roithner

I feel you could make the width custom to the space where you plan to use the cart. Within reason of course. If you make it long, like behind a couch, you would probably need a thicker wood for making the shelves more sturdy.

• Carol Hunt

Yes, depends on what size you WANT it. So many things you can make.

• Cheryl

I think that would depend on how much you want then to be

• Robyn Garner

Although you could make them any size you want, you'd need to figure out how thick the shelves would need to be in order to not sag if you increase the width.

• Suzanne Brady-Broker

Nice! It looks as if you added toe rail around the bottom?

• Donna Makowski

The bottom shelf just extends out similar to the top shelf - see picture where she's adding the casters.

• Dmholt4391

Yes, the top and bottom are the same. Just watch the video again. You'll see.

• Deborah

I think I have a pair in the garage I'll have to look.

• Judy Helderop Pease Lusko

is the lemon oil used only my agent or does it actually have something to do with the cleaning? Would just the baking soda and Castile soap do the same job without the lemon oil? Thank you in advance for your help

• Dfm

lemon oil will help to condition the wood.

• Judith

I am confused why you added the shutters as the end sides instead of the front, as shutter/doors, their original intent ? Also, I thought you would take down cabinet doors to replace with shutters ?

• Denise

How can I save this on Messenger?

• Beth Trask Symonds

Send it to yourself. That's what I do.

• Jackie Nimrichter Mohr

I’ve tried to figure that out as well. So I just don’t delete it.

• Susan

The little box with the arrow, then you can send it to your own Messenger.

There's an option at the bottom of this page to save to your projects. But its constantly blocked by those ads. I usually wait until the ads go away and click on the heart (i want to make this). That will save to your projects list.

• Beth Roland

biu

• Cheryl

Hi Denise.

You can send this to yourself on Messenger using your phone. On the top right hand corner of your phone you will see 3 dots in a row vertically. Click the 3 dots. Next, scroll down to select share. This will give you options. Choose Messenger. Then choose "Just You" if you are sending it to yourself or choose who you want to send it to. I hope this helps you.

• Carl

Will plastic shutters work?

• Lola

I don’t believe the plastic would hold up very well.

• Joy Teel Cleckley

Reinforce with 2x2 inch wood strips. Or use boards instead of the plastic shutters, then affix your plastuc shutters to the boards. Try 1 inch thick by whatever the width of the shutter is. Maybe can try. I have come up short in sewing projects and had to figure out ways to make do.

• Jackie

Probably not

• Beverly Luke

What are the measurements for this piece? What is the distance between shelves. For some reason I can't get the video to play.

• Inez Tankesly

I would go by the width & height of the shutters. Decide where you will put the shelf & get the shutters accordingly.

• Melissa

You can just measure the length of your shutters & divide them by however many shelves you want & that'll give you your distance between each shelf OR you don't necessarily HAVE to do them equal distances apart. Be creative & unique with yours. No two have to be nor will they be alike.

• Lela

I Love the stain color on the top of this cabinet. In the video I see the can of Rustoleum was being used, could you tell me which color stain?? Thanks!

• Ellen Morrison Kelley

That’s incredible. Great job.

• Gwenn Mccutcheon

Did you add the braces under the shelves after or did you put them on before you attached the shelves