Flawless Chaos
Flawless Chaos
  • Flower Mound, TX

Dining Table MakeOver

$30

I never realized how much brown furniture I had collected over the last 20 years. This included my dining room table. I was searching for an alternative that would not require a full strip/sand project and found that a white table with dark chairs is a really common look, one that I'd never really noticed and I thought it would look great in my dining room.

Here is the original:

Before
Before

I started by attempting to use a non-toxic stripper on the top of the table. This barely affected the top laquer of the original finish. It was thick and would have taken a long time and a lot of work to get the table completely stripped/sanded.

dining table makeover

For the chairs, I wanted a high gloss finish with no brush marks. I have had really great luck with spray painting furniture/appliances lately and I knew it would save me a LOT of time and effort.

Prepping your chairs:

1. Remove cushions (usually just a couple of screws on the bottom of the chair)
  2. Clean/Repair chairs - I had arm rests on two of my chairs that needed to be removed because one had broken beyond repair. Then I filled any holes with wood putty and let dry.
  3. Deep scratches - sand smooth

dining table makeover

dining table makeover

Primer - take outdoors in well ventilated area and spray slowly avoiding runs

dining table makeover

Paint - wait at least 30 minutes between coats and make sure the temps stay above 55-60 degrees

Finish - wait another 30 minutes and coat with a laquer finish

dining table makeover

Now it was time for the table. Instead of going to the effort to move it somewhere else, I just used a drop cloth under and left it in the dining room. For materials, I used Rust-oleum Chalked matte paint in Chiffon Cream, a Creme wax finish and a small paint brush and roller.

I did three coats of the chalk paint on the table and then two coats of the wax. Make sure to used the roller on the top for a super smooth finish.

dining table makeover

Finished Look!

dining table makeover

I am loving my new dining room and very glad I didn't buy a new set!

Flawless Chaos

• Danielle

Are you planning to recover the chair seats?

• Flawless Chaos

Four of the chairs originally were the leopard like material and the other two (found at a garage sale were the black floral).

• Carolinagirl

Love your new look and you did such a professional job! And, I would die for windows just like yours.

• Deanne Graham

Yes of course. I love refinishing furniture. I actually am more excited with doing a project like that than buying new furniture.