IKEA Stomma Map Clock Hack

$6

The other day I tagged along to my friends trip to IKEA. I had no intention of buying anything except for perhaps some salt liquorice and pickled herrings (I have Scandi food tastes). When I spotted this display of Stomma clocks for £1.95 ($2.50).

I new I just had to buy one and hack it with a vintage world map. You can find fabulous free world maps here.

ikea stomma map clock hack
ikea stomma map clock hack

All you need for this IKEA Stomma Clock hack besides one of the clocks, is,

Printable tattoo paper (see here)

Copper spray paint

World map template (blog link at the end)

Spray fixative

Coloured Sharpies

ikea stomma map clock hack

The first thing you need to do is actually dismantle the clock. If you use a knife you should be able to gently prise off the face. Then it's simply a case of unscrewing the mechanism.

ikea stomma map clock hack

I wanted the clock to have an aged look. So I covered the face to protect it and then sprayed the rest of the clock copper, including the hands.

ikea stomma map clock hack

Next I printed out the a mirror image world map face on to tattoo paper. You can use the same one as me and download it for free (link to blog at the end). Or if you want to use a different map just use a free image program like Canva to design your own map clock face.

If designing your own clock face I suggest you print out a test one on normal paper first to check you have the right size.

To print a mirror image, just go to the advance menu settings in your printer software and tick the mirror image box.

ikea stomma map clock hack

Cut the clock face out.

ikea stomma map clock hack

Your tattoo paper will come with instructions, follow those. Generally you place the image face down onto the clock face. Then you wet the back with a cloth and then remove the paper backing.

ikea stomma map clock hack

I used tattoo paper as it is very thin and therefore won't interfere with the clock mechanism. Also, it is a flexible film that will go over the raised numbers on the clock face. Even though it goes over the bumps you might end up with a couple of gaps where the map hasn't quite stretched. Don't worry you can just colour these in with sharpies.

ikea stomma map clock hack

Finally, all that is left to do is to put the clock mechanism back together and hang it on the wall.

As these clocks are so cheap I was thinking of getting a few and having time zone clocks for cities around the world that are important for my family. I would put a map of that city on the clock face. I would have one for Hong Kong, Bergen, London and Faro. As that is where all my family live.

What maps would you use for your clock? Or what image would you put on the face?

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Patricia

Super idea! I love it. Does the image have to be printed with a laser printer?

• Sunny

What to do if my printer does not have the mirror image feature? Thanks!

• Bink

The map in the final picture looks very different than the map you printed. What did you use to age the map. Also, why do you need to use tattoo paper? Why can't you just use regular paper? I can't even see the raised numbers. Why not remove them completely?

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

I didn't age the map maybe the reflection on the copper makes it look a bit different. Also the print out is on a white background which you remove which will change the tone of the paper. I used tattoo paper as it is like a very thin film so goes over the molded letters very easily and doesn't effect the clock mechanism. Normal paper would have been too thick for this and not flexible enough.