Asked on Apr 3, 2019

How do I clean windows without streaking with a homemade cleaner?

TheHoneycombHomePattLynn Sorrell
+3

When I do a major cleaning, cleaning the windows, panes, etc., sometimes the windows look foggy & filmy. I've bought different cleaners; which is best? Thanks!

• Kathy Gunter Law

I use white vinegar & water with 1 drop of dish detergent in a spray bottle if there is "gunk" but most of the time I use a microfiber cloth with water, nothing else. My favorite is SuperCloth.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Linda, this is Peggy. We all have had that streaking window you just never seem to get totally clear. I saw this last week, sounds weird, but you may try it. Hope it works for you. Cleaning with Potatoes and Other Cleaning Tricks | Maids By Trade

1. https://maidsbytrade.com › Cleaning Tips

Rub a raw potato over the surface of the glass. It will clean the glass and leave a film that will prevent condensation later. If while you're cleaning, the potato ...

• Cynthia H

I use white vinegar mixed with water and microfiber cloths and a squeegee. I go up and down on the inside and side to side outside so I can tell which side the streaks are on, if there are any.

• Lynn Sorrell

Use dawn dish in bucket with hot water and wash cloth(indoors)soft brush to clean frames,tracks,sills rinse then dry with cloth towels,use the brush everywhere outside of windows goes quicker ; Then using pure rubbing alcohol/isopropyl alcohol for glass/window panes(really good for bathroom mirrors and car/auto windsheilds) pour on clean wash cloth no fabric softener(streaks & smears) wipe then dry with another clean cloth. do not use paper towels they are either coated or made with chemicals to increase absporbtion but cause streaking & smearing,wipe one side of window one direction(horizontal) & the otherside the other direction(vertically)that way you can tell which side/ if you missed anything. Micro fiber cloths work well to help reduce dust/lint and smudges between regular cleaning & really well for eye glasses

• Patt

The easiest way that I ever saw was using plain old newspaper and rubbing alcohol in a mist bottle.

• TheHoneycombHome

I use windex with newspaper instead of paper towels. The newspaper doesn't leave streaks or lint!